Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Secure - Error "something went wrong, please try again later" returned during registration

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Thumpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Product - Arlo essential spotlight (x2).

When trying to register for Arlo Secure, at the final stage of PayPal checkout the error "something went wrong, please try again later" is returned by the Arlo site in an amber coloured banner across the top of the page.  I have been trying to register for more than a week and the same issue is encountered every time. I have tried registering via mobile phone (Android) and via MacBook and the same error is encountered each time.

The error is returned by the Arlo site, not PayPal.  I looks to me like PayPal is working fine but something happens at the Arlo site as part of the payment procesing workflow or something like that.

Please help!

15 REPLIES 15
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thumpa,

This error may indicate that incorrect or incomplete information is being entered. Double check to make sure all information entered is 100% correct and then try again to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

Thumpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James.

I'm using express checkout PayPal when trying to purchase the Arlo Secure subscription, hence there is no information to be provided.

When I click on the Express Checkout PayPal icon, the Arlo website transfers the session to PayPal where I login and authorise the payment, and then when the session is passed back to the Arlo site, that's when the error message is displayed. This is my layman's interpretation of what's happening.  I know my PayPal account is functioning correctly, I use it fairly often.  Any other ideas?

Many thanks for your help,

Gary. 

Thumpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update:  Every time I attempt to purchase an Arlo Secure subscription, I get a $0 charge on my bank account from PayPal.  That says to me there is likely something wrong with Arlo's handling of the payment transaction info after receiving it from PayPal.

Gary.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Thumpa wrote:

Update:  Every time I attempt to purchase an Arlo Secure subscription, I get a $0 charge on my bank account from PayPal.  

Are you in a country where Arlo accepts PayPal?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062542/How-do-I-change-the-payment-method-for-my-Arlo-account

• PayPal (US, Canada, UK, EU, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, and New Zealand only)
Thumpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB.

Thanks for your help. I am located in Australia.  As per the OP, I have tried from both Android and MacOS platforms and both return the same error message.

Best regards,

Gary.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thumpa,

I'm following up with the team internally to see if I can find out what may be happening.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thumpa,

Are you able to check your PayPal account to make sure all information is entered correctly? Have you successfully used this PayPal account to make a purchase elsewhere?

JamesC

Thumpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC.

My PayPal account works fine, I use it regularly for other purchases including monthly subscriptions to other providers.  The issue with subscribing to Arlo Secure still exists, I checked again earlier today just to be sure.

All the best,

Gary.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

After checking with the billing team, the error is due to the state and city being reversed in the PayPal information that's being handed off to our billing system. Check your PayPal account to make sure the information is entered accurately.

JamesC

Thumpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James.

As I've stated previously, my PayPal account works perfectly. I have several, non Arlo related subscriptions billing from the account and they all work perfectly. I also do add-hoc online transactions from the same account without any issues.  I logged into PayPal and checked my account address details just to be sure, and everything is configured correctly.

Anyway, thanks for your follow-up.

All the best,

Gary.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for checking. I will continue to work with the team to understand this issue.

JamesC

Thumpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there.

For anyone who is interested, according to Arlo support subscription payment via PayPal is limited to the US only and is not supported for international customers.  Credit Card payment is the only supported payment method for international customers.  How dumb is that?  Oh, and it took 3+ weeks to get that answer.

Gary.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thumpa,

This is incorrect. PayPal usage is not currently limited to the US. The issue you're experiencing is a corner case issue that the dev team is currently investigating. I've escalated these details and an agent will be reaching out to you with a status update soon.

JamesC

Thumpa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James.

Many thanks for your help. This is what I received from Arlo support yesterday.

"Please be informed that the payment using PayPal applies only to US customers and it is not applicable to Australia and New Zealand customers. Hence I request you to subscribe using a Credit card from your end."

I believe you and I agree with your fault finding diagnosis, I think you nailed it.  Unfortunately I have reluctantly taken out a credit card subscription but I'm definitely not happy with the case resolution.  If the devs can fix the PayPal issue for future customers, that would be a good thing. 

Thanks again for all your help, but only you as the assistance I received from others on the case was average at best.

Gary.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Thumpa wrote:

Many thanks for your help. This is what I received from Arlo support yesterday.

"Please be informed that the payment using PayPal applies only to US customers and it is not applicable to Australia and New Zealand customers. Hence I request you to subscribe using a Credit card from your end."

Support gave you outdated information (unfortunately not the first time).

See https://kb.arlo.com/000062542/How-do-I-change-the-payment-method-for-my-Arlo-account

• PayPal (US, Canada, UK, EU, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, and New Zealand only)