Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Confused23
Tutor
Tutor

Why is the new app completely different to previous.  I have spent 3 hours on my phone trying to work out how to schedule on and off times.  It took me 10 seconds with previous app. Which was intuitive    This one uses completely different language and terminology. Not happy. 

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The app is the same but it supports 2 different user interfaces (UI). The old UI uses Library to view recordings while the new one uses Feed. Adding the new camera caused the migration from the old UI to the new one (if you were watching, the first step is to migrate and then to add the new camera).

The schedule is set up in Routines. Click on the "+" at the top and choose schedule. You need to do this at least twice - once to cause the system to use one mode and another to then change to another. Custom modes don't transfer to the new UI so you have to edit the 3 default ones to do what you need. The reason for only 3 modes is due to the security system only being able to choose between those 3.

Read this FAQ for all details:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062942/How-do-I-add-a-Schedule-Automation-to-my-Arlo-system

Confused23
Tutor
Tutor

i have 2 base stations and multiple cameras at each requiring different schedules.  when i think i am adding a  schedule to a particular camera - all schedules that i have entered appear so i dont know if these are relevant to all cameras or just the ones i selected them for.  remain confused. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't add a schedule to a camera - you add a MODE to the schedule. Each mode has rules for various cameras so those cameras will detect and (usually) record.

Maybe some details as to what cameras and bases you have as well as what you're attempting to do would be useful. Also, do you see Library to view recordings or Feed? The current apps support 2 different user interfaces (UI) so answers to questions may rely on which UI you're using. Screenshots can also be useful.

Edinburgh_lad
Apprentice
Apprentice

I too have a problem with setting up schedules. Honestly, Netgear knew what they were doing; this lot, on the other hand, have no idea. They're trying to reinvent the wheel. By doing this, they're making the whole system less flexible. And the worst one can do is not to listen to your customers, and Arlo seems to be very good at that.

So, I'm so busy at work, but instead, I'll be fiddling with the whole system trying to make sense of someone's crazy ideas that aren't logical (i.e. not to have a custom mode anymore.) Really not happy at all.

Confused23
Tutor
Tutor

so i have ditched all of my old cameras.  i have managed to get 2 new essential 2k indoors working on the same mode/schedule.  i also have a Essential2k battery camera that is also on the same mode/schedule but is on 24/7 never on standby as it is supposed to be.

i want to establish different modes for different cameras but that doesn't seem possible.

confused and annoyed

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Look at my post in New GUI in the Ultra section. Once the mods approve the screenshots, you can set up the new schedule using my guide.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Confused23 wrote:

i want to establish different modes for different cameras but that doesn't seem possible.

Assuming you're using the new user interface (UI) that uses Feed to view recordings, you can't add modes. You have to use the 3 default modes to accomplish what you need. If you're using the old UI that uses Library to view recordings, you can create custom modes but at some point you'll be migrated to the new UI and lose those modes.

swiftd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there any info available on whether Arlo intends to add the custom mode functionality back into the Arlo Secure app?

Confused23
Tutor
Tutor

sorry what do you mean by the Ultra section?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Confused23 wrote:

sorry what do you mean by the Ultra section?

It's an area of the forum dedicated to Ultra cameras.

I think @Edinburgh_lad1 is pointing you to this post:

arlocuss32
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree with you as I have been on the phone several times this week and no one has been able to help me although some good technical support personnel tried but this app is CRAP.