Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why cant I add a mode to the Arlo Pro 5S?

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
HOR5E
Tutor
Tutor

Question, why cant I add a mode to the Arlo 5S 2K? I have an older Arlo system at another location and I have several modes which control camera depending if my dogs are in the yard or not. 

This is really disappointing to pay a premium price to go to a  more advanced camera but I lose features. 

Issue being I have dogs in the back yard and want to arm the front of the house while I am away, I can change the setting in one mode but each time I go somewhere I will need to change them back. 

Is this in planning to be an upgrade? if so when would this be rolled out. 

17 REPLIES 17
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

While custom modes are no longer available with the newest version of the Arlo interface, you may find the mute notifications feature useful for your use case. For more information on this feature, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062908/How-to-Mute-Arlo-Notifications-Arlo-Secure-4-0

The Arlo development team is continuing to evaluate feedback like what you've mentioned here and new features and enhancements will continue to be made to the app in the future.

JamesC

HOR5E
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks James, I do hope they bring that feature back as it was quick and easy to operate and utilize the Arlo system  

Ricky_Bobby
Guide
Guide

I am also finding it absolutely incredible that such a basic but essential feature can just be removed by a new version. I have opened a support case but so far I do not expect a resolution. I have many cameras for years both front and back and with the previous version was able to disarm just the back group of cameras when sitting in the back while leaving all front cameras armed for security. Now there is no way to do this and must disarm the entire system while sitting in the back or else receive non-stop motion alerts and recordings. Muting is NOT a solution. as that renders the property insecure.

This is so simple to implement and has now made the entire Arlo system useless to me. I cannot understand how your development team could have been allowed to release this version without any real consultation (and I am a long term member of the Arlo beta project so I know there has been none).

In my opinion Arlo has now gone from being a serious security contender to a basic hobby provider good for 1 or 2 cameras only and nothing more. Not useful in the real world of security.

UlrichKr
Initiate
Initiate

I second that. Really disappointed that custom modes are no longer possible. 
please bring this feature back asap!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@UlrichKr wrote:

I second that. Really disappointed that custom modes are no longer possible. 
please bring this feature back asap!

It's a challenge for Arlo because the home security system has buttons for each mode.

Ricky_Bobby
Guide
Guide

So they bring out a new product and kill functionality in the existing ones? I would never trust Arlo with real home security anyway given their track record. The cameras/software is only so-so, certainly not professional.

HOR5E
Tutor
Tutor

How could this be a challenge, my old system has it, and still the standard buttons for the modes. 

Screenshot_20230716_071843_Arlo Secure.jpg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HOR5E wrote:

How could this be a challenge, my old system has it, and still the standard buttons for the modes. 

(a) it won't have it after they migrate all accounts to "Feed"

(b) the change was coordinated with the new home security system rollout.  And that system is limited to the three modes in the new UI.  You can see the buttons for the three modes at the top left of the system.

home-security.jpg

Not the best decision, but not easy to change it now that the system is out there.

G2T
Tutor
Tutor

StephenB then Arlo did a poor job in understanding the Arlo community use cases. I bought my Pro5S system based on the neighbor down the street who can create modes. Neither of us have the key pad that you refer and he will not be a happy camper with an app software update that removes capability. Removal of the mode creation makes the system pretty cheesy regardless of the quality of the camera and hub. Hire some decent software designers/programmers and they should be able to correct this unnecessary limitation.

HOR5E
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone had issues with putting in activity zones and it not making any difference to where it's picking up activity?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@G2T wrote:

StephenB then Arlo did a poor job in understanding the Arlo community use cases.

FWIW, I agree.  The new automations may be able to do everything we need but they are already quite confusing.

@G2T wrote:

Neither of us have the key pad that you refer

Understood.  But I don't think they would add support for custom modes for folks w/o the home security system, but not for folks who have purchased it.  So anything they change on this will need to be compatible with the key pad.

Ricky_Bobby
Guide
Guide

The system is unusable as it is now without ability to control which devices are on when and also this new app has killed support for the 2 Arlo lights that I have even though they are not EOL until 2025.

If this doesn't get fixed soon then its goodbye Arlo and removal from my well-read recommended buy list. No one in their right mind should seriously consider Arlo for true home security with developers as bad as these.

Ricky_Bobby
Guide
Guide

Today the entire feed history is gone. WTF

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you have a current subscription? The trial may have expired. Without a sub you won't have cloud recordings.

Ricky_Bobby
Guide
Guide

Yes I have subscription and magically they all came back now had gone missing for 24 hours or so

AtxJay
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are a number of ways to solve the problem.  Because the physical device is limited to 3 modes does not mean the software has to be limited to 3 modes.  Nor does it mean that cameras have to be coupled with the three alarm modes in any capacity.  The three alarm setting can/should apply to opening/closing of doors or motion while the cameras can function off a completely separate scheduling/mode function.  These do not need to be linked in any way.

I bought the secure module to get the insurance discount.  If I had known it was going to ruin my arlo scheduling experience, I wouldn't have done so.

Ricky_Bobby
Guide
Guide

Arlo need to wake up to this and so far have not done so. Bringing a product (or in this case an updated product) to market starts with building what you think the customer wants. The key is to engage, ask, listen and then actually provide what the customer actually wants, not what you want to give them or else they will go elsewhere. So many examples of this in history where companies shoot themselves in the foot like this so not sure why its so hard to understand.