Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Standby Mode always detects motion

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
colinbes
Guide
Guide

My standby mode is set with motion detected and audio (where applicable) disabled yet when in standby mode the camera are detecting motion and sending alert to Arlo App on my phone.

This is something new and started a day ago - up until now when in standby mode there was no detection and no video capture.

This is very frustrating and I am not sure if it's coupled to my subscription expiring  - which it shouldn't be.

For now I have to resort to switching cameras off.

Anyone else experiencing this?

32 REPLIES 32
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@colinbes wrote:

My standby mode is set with motion detected and audio (where applicable) disabled yet when in standby mode the camera are detecting motion and sending alert to Arlo App on my phone.

Did you look at the rules in that mode, and make sure that motion detection is disabled there?  You should also look at the default mode settings for the camera.

colinbes
Guide
Guide

Yup, for both cameras rules show camera motion as off and camera audio as off. As mentioned, this setup has been working fine for several months with no detection in standby mode.

Under default settings there are only settings for sensitivity, recording length and siren, nothing to indicate detection on/off which wouldn’t make sense in any case as it should always be in one of the three modes. 
colinbes
Guide
Guide

I suspect there are subscription "shenanigans" going on as this is the only thing that has changed.

Since I purchased the devices I only subscribe for periods when I am away from the location and this has always worked well (and one of the reasons I went with Arlo) even when subscriptions had expired. My subscription has just ended so timing leads me to suspect this is behind the issue.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@colinbes wrote:

Yup, for both cameras rules show camera motion as off and camera audio as off. As mentioned, this setup has been working fine for several months with no detection in standby mode.

You should be able to change those settings.  Have you tried to do that?

colinbes
Guide
Guide

Stephen, I am confused as to your reply - I mentioned that the settings are disabled in the Standby mode - actually I even enabled and then disabled just to be sure.

And cameras are also set in standby mode.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@colinbes wrote:

Stephen, I am confused as to your reply

Sorry, I was the one confused on what you wanted.

Reading again, it looks like

1. the camera rules are set so there is no notification or recording for standby
  2. but the cameras are still notifying and recording when in this mode

Obviously it isn't supposed to do that.

What camera models do you have?

colinbes
Guide
Guide

Thanks

I have an Essential Spotlight and an Essential Indoor.

Happy to do any testing.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is there a reason you have rules for the cameras in Standby in the first place? I have some so I can use Standby to disable most cameras but still be able to enable some (disarm the backyard by toggling those cameras' motion detection off while keeping the front armed). Is that how you're using it?

It may also be due to cross-triggering where one camera detects and also causes recording on another.

colinbes
Guide
Guide

To me standby mode is for privacy if it's just the family at home and I will use the other two modes for detection by garage door or full 'armed' where all cameras are enabled.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suppose I don't fully understand your usage but it seems to me that those cameras do NOT need rules in Standby if they're never going to be used in your scenario.

colinbes
Guide
Guide

Sounded to me like you do pretty much the same as I do - some cameras are disarmed when in standby.

Any decent alarm system allows for disarming - The Arlo specifically has a mode for standby mode which states "Disarm your devices and keep specific ones ones armed" which is what I have done. If I had outside camera I would most probably keep it armed in all modes.

When I am at home I don't want me walking through the living room triggering alarms and alerting me - hence in standby mode I want detection disabled.

I am confused on the confusion 🙂

The question is not why I want detection disabled it is the fact that I CAN NOT disable detection and the always alert me - Up until this week disabling detection worked, now it doesn't.

colinbes
Guide
Guide

As mentioned earlier I suspect some 'shenanigans' regarding subscriptions. In the past I only had subscription for month I was away and no subscription when I was at home for several months in a row and disarmed worked like I expected (no detection) with or without subscription.

My January subscription expired and cameras started alerting me disregarding disarm settings. As text I subscribed for February and now it is working as expected.

I will be taking this up with support.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Provide screenshots of your modes and automations so we can advise. Otherwise, it's difficult to know.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@colinbes wrote:

To me standby mode is for privacy if it's just the family at home and I will use the other two modes for detection by garage door or full 'armed' where all cameras are enabled.

If a camera doesn't have a rule in a mode, then it is automatically disarmed when that mode is enabled.

@jguerdat is suggesting that you should try deleting all the "empty" rules for cameras in the standby mode, and see if that makes any difference.  FWIW, I think it is a good next step.

colinbes
Guide
Guide

It's really not difficult and there are not many options - plus see my comment on once I paid for subscription it started working as it used to (In the past I didn't need a subscription).

Motion detected is turned off and this has always worked in the past even without subscription.

Here are my standby settings:
IMG_6762.jpegIMG_6763.jpegIMG_6764.jpeg

colinbes
Guide
Guide

Now that I have purchased a subscription and I no longer get alerts in standby mode I am unable to test until my subscription expires.

Stanpolo
Aspirant
Aspirant

My cameras are doing the exact same thing. This new APP upgrade is so confusing and glitchy! Why can't we revert to the old easy-to-use app? I am ready to give up on ARLO.

colinbes
Guide
Guide

Thanks for sharing that as it helps pinpoint that I am not going crazy (at least getting crazier).

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you on an iOS or Android device?

Stanpolo
Aspirant
Aspirant

IOS

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you try deleting the app from the App Library (it has to be done within the App Library and will say delete app not remove app) ~ Once it is deleted reinstall the app, sign in and see if it improves.

colinbes
Guide
Guide

I am an IOS user but don't think this is the issue as I have been connecting via my.arlo.com and the settings there are as I expect them to be yet alerts keep on coming in.

Note, in my case, now that I resubscribed for Feb (only as a test) my system is working as expected. If I could I would cancel subscription now to check if it started failing.

colinbes
Guide
Guide

I don't see how this would help in my case seeing as I no longer have the issue since I subscribed for month of January.

If you want to cancel and refund my subscription in order to see if issue arises again I would be happy to test.

ianthewong
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem with 2 of my Arlo Pro 4 where the 2 cameras constantly send motion detected notifications to my iPhone while in standby mode after I ended my subscription yesterday. This wasn't a problem while I had the subscription, which I had for the month while I went on holiday. Originally had no rules for the cameras in standby mode and have tried rules in standby mode with no actions -> but still get notifications

Have searched the web and gone through the settings through the iOS app & web account. But can't find anything that would cause the cameras to send me notifications. Would really like to turn these notifications off as they are excessive