Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Old Arlo Pro gives video notifications, new Arlo Pro 5s doesnt

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Mnichollsuk123
Follower
Follower

Hey

My old Arlo pro, which i have 2 of working in the garden gives me video notifications every night of any movement in my hedgehog house, winch is very nice 🙂 I have never paid a subscription for this and its always just worked, the videos i like i can download to my phone and keep

I have just bought  anew pro 5s and its asking me to pay a subscription for this feature - why do my old cameras work without paying but the new one doesn't work and needs a monthly payment? Is there way to get around this?

Thank you

Mark

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any camera newer than the Pro 2 requires a subscription for cloud recordings. This has been true since 2018 with the entry of the Ultra camera.

You can set up local recordings on your base using Storage Settings when editing the base's settings. However, you can record with no problem but you'll need to Safely Eject the drive for viewing on a computer. If you want to use the app for viewing directly you'll need to upgrade your base with a VMB4540 or 5000 SmartHub. That will require you move the Pro 5 to the new hub and then set up local recordings for the hub.  Not hard but means money to be spent.