Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Since ios17 was introduced the notifications of the arlo app are hardly audible because apple has changed the default sound of notifications to one with a much lower volume. This makes it impossible to hear notifications while sleeping when people trespass our property. Arlo : when will you build in a custom sound possibility for notifications. 

Without this change our home security system is almost useless. 

Best answers
  • _Rocky_
    Star
    Star

They have, you need to update your apple device to IOS 17.2 the then on your device go to settings, sounds, default settings then choose the sound you want to use for arlo, also make sure on your arlo app you have chosen default OS tone.

• Brendafromsp
    Star
    Star

If you update to the latest version of iOS you have a wide range of sounds to choose from for your notification sound, there are some that are louder. For me I’ve chosen to use the suggestion that was mentioned where Siri tells the message. It is the best audible in the night. In the day time I either have to change the Siri options or mute my phone

• ArloBob1
    Guide
    Guide

IOS 17.2 is available NOW!  

This fixes the issue of notifications that are not loud enough.

Do this:

1) Download and install IOS 17.2

2) Choose SOUNDS & HAPTICS

3) Choose a loud sound that you like

4) Go to the ARLO app, click on your profile (upper left on the dashboard)

5) Choose notifications

6) Make sure the Notification Tone is set to "DEFAULT OS TONE"

ArloBob1_0-1702351119036.pngArloBob1_1-1702351216526.pngArloBob1_2-1702351387082.png

192 REPLIES 192
Jimmyjammim
Star
Star

I’ve updated to the 4.10. Still useless!  What is the problem?  If it can’t be fixed just say that. This tone is useless for security purposes. 

rbard48
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am joining others where after downloading iOs 17.1 the sound notification from Arlo cameras is barely audible.   I have spent hours on phone with Apple and Arlo Chats with no success.  The app is now faulty and not compatible with the new iOs 17.1.  The cameras are worthless without an audible notification.   After years of using Arlo cameras and recommending them to many friends they have let me down.  It was such a good product that now has gone by the wayside where technology has left them in the dust.  

Jimmyjammim
Star
Star

Arlo!  Hello!  Are you listening?  There will be a mass exodus at some point. 

Kooguy
Guide
Guide

Sounds like a class action lawsuit is in order. Save those Arlo purchase receipts. Product is useless without notifications on the largest platform in the world.

Jimmyjammim
Star
Star

I agree!  There doesn’t seem to be any movement in fixing this issue. 

Plantmom1
Tutor
Tutor

Hey everyone. I’m new to Arlo but I’m considering returning the system and trying something else. For those here having an issue with the now almost inaudible notification sound, I have a question for you. Before that change, were you just leaving your iPhone in regular mode at night, rather than DnD mode? If I have my phone in DnD mode at night, it completely mutes notifications, and the Arlo app doesn’t seem to allow me to set up a critical alert for motion. I feel like I’m missing something here. Is there a way to get a critical alert for motion while in DnD mode, or were you all just resorting to leaving your phone in regular mode at night and putting up with the notification sounds when you get texts or alerts from other apps at night? Thanks. 

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

I don’t use DnD mode but it is possible to use the dnd mode and make exceptions for contacts or apps so you will still get messages from those apps or contacts

arlodangerous
Tutor
Tutor

I do have to credit the CIO of Arlo as she has responded to me twice.  Below is her last note:

The engineering team is actively working on this with a very high priority and right now the target release is end of Nov/early Dec.   As soon as I get a firm date I will let you know.   

Plantmom1
Tutor
Tutor

Oh my gosh—thank you! I knew there had to be something I was missing!  I haven’t played around with DnD mode in ages and didn’t realize I could customize it like that now. Thank you! 

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Sounds promising 

Bicycle
Star
Star

I updated the APP with version 4.10 (7096) release Oct 28, 2023. The issue is NOT resolved because I wear an Apple Watch.

What the ARLO engineers failed to take into account is that with iOS Version 17.1 Apple changed the way notifications work on the iPhone (mine is an iPhone 14 Pro) when the user is also wearing an Apple Watch with iOS version 10.1.

Arlo engineers should be aware that the iPhone notifications are muted when the user is wearing an Apple Watch, which was NOT the case with the older iOS versions. ARLO based their firmware on the older iOS versions.

ARLO must update their APP so that the iPhone will sound an alert even when the user is wearing an Apple Watch because APPLE took away that feature in their 17.1 update.

I suspect that ARLO has some competency issues, when communicating with APPLE's engineers, to resolve this issue.

Bicycle
Star
Star

I updated the APP the sound issue is not resolved. I thought it was due to wearing an Apple Watch because Apples' iOS 17 update causes notifications to transfer sound to the watch only (no longer to the phone as well). So I turned off my watch and disabled bluetooth. Then I walked in front of the cameras. The sound only triggered from one of the camera's and it was the same issue, a very faint tap, which is barely audible. My Ring doorbell on the other hand continued to give a loud alert. I say if Ring can do it, then Arlo should be able to also. Bottom line is that Arlo must update their firmware to allow TONE adjustments with in their APP.

Retiredrecluse
Aspirant
Aspirant

As of this date we’re still waiting for a response and upgrade from “Arlo/Apple” to resolve this issue. So far the notifications are still barely audible. 

Retiredrecluse
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.

We patiently await your response and solution.

sincerely,

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

I never wear my watch at night because it's being charged. Just as is my phone. They both lie next to my bed. The sound of the phone was also muted when the battery of the watch was being charged in the night ( when I was not wearing my watch). 
Before ios 17 I had 3 burglers visiting my property (garden/garage) that I was warned for by my phone while it was being charged. A watch however doesn't give a sound while being charged.. So at night or when you forget to put on your watch you could still have a problem noticing a burglary in progress. 

ArloBob1
Guide
Guide

Please update the app ASAP so that the user can choose their own notification sound instead of being forced to use the default sound in iOS. Thanks 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What sound would you like, the apple default is tri-tone pre iOS 17 which is now very quite.

Alro needs to embed the audio sound within the arlo app to be able to make a different sound.

This request has been ongoing for years without a response from arlo.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Brendafromsp wrote:

Before ios 17 I had 3 burglers visiting my property (garden/garage) that I was warned for by my phone while it was being charged. A watch however doesn't give a sound while being charged.. So at night or when you forget to put on your watch you could still have a problem noticing a burglary in progress. 

Obviously the notification issue is something Arlo needs to fix.

The workaround is to configure Siri to announce the Arlo notifications.  That can be set up so the notifications continue with the phone is in DND or whatever focus mode you use at night.

Bicycle
Star
Star

Still no results from ARLO on updating their APP to allow prominent sound notifications to the iPhone (either when using an Apple Watch or not). There is no prominent sound.  Using the work around of SIRI announcements is not a good fix because the announcements are random and do not always function.  I tested this feature on several cameras on the front of my house with in minutes of each other on two separate iPhones and got mixed results, with less than 40% of the time SIRI would make voice announcements. 

ArloBob1
Guide
Guide

Tri-tone would be good.  The iOS 17 default is “rebound” which cannot be heard.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

We appreciate your patience and feedback while we work to deliver a solution for the recent iOS notification tone change. The development team has prioritized an enhancement that we plan to implement near the end of November. We understand the importance of this solution for our iOS users and will provide another update as we approach this features release.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I would like a longer sound that would wake me in the night when asleep. Maybe something like an arlo jingle.

ArloBob1
Guide
Guide

The bast thing would be for Arlo to give us several options.  My Trading View App does that and it works great

Mugsmt
Star
Star

Ok, we’re finally getting somewhere…Arlo just released ver 4.10.5 which includes two custom notification sounds…though they are not the loudest I’ve heard, this is definitely a start…it shouldn’t be an issue for Arlo to add a new sound or two with each update in the future…

stefanlindberg
Guide
Guide

great, finally, hope there will be some more with longer and louder sounds, but a good start