Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Since ios17 was introduced the notifications of the arlo app are hardly audible because apple has changed the default sound of notifications to one with a much lower volume. This makes it impossible to hear notifications while sleeping when people trespass our property. Arlo : when will you build in a custom sound possibility for notifications. 

Without this change our home security system is almost useless. 

Best answers
  • _Rocky_
    Star
    Star

They have, you need to update your apple device to IOS 17.2 the then on your device go to settings, sounds, default settings then choose the sound you want to use for arlo, also make sure on your arlo app you have chosen default OS tone.

• Brendafromsp
    Star
    Star

If you update to the latest version of iOS you have a wide range of sounds to choose from for your notification sound, there are some that are louder. For me I’ve chosen to use the suggestion that was mentioned where Siri tells the message. It is the best audible in the night. In the day time I either have to change the Siri options or mute my phone

• ArloBob1
    Guide
    Guide

IOS 17.2 is available NOW!  

This fixes the issue of notifications that are not loud enough.

Do this:

1) Download and install IOS 17.2

2) Choose SOUNDS & HAPTICS

3) Choose a loud sound that you like

4) Go to the ARLO app, click on your profile (upper left on the dashboard)

5) Choose notifications

6) Make sure the Notification Tone is set to "DEFAULT OS TONE"

ArloBob1_0-1702351119036.pngArloBob1_1-1702351216526.pngArloBob1_2-1702351387082.png

192 REPLIES 192
Brendafromsp
Star
Star

The way arli repkys to complaints is really costumer unfriendly. They probably want to lose al lot of customers that used to be happy because arlo is being unwilling to change the app and tell us that they will change it in the next update scheduled by dd-mm-yyyy.  It's that simple. 

Lifetek
Initiate
Initiate

Make a custom sound for Arlo notifications on the iPhone! Any, literally any other sound, would be better than the default iPhone notification sound. Why hasn’t this been done already? An “arlo sound” is marketing.. set your app apart.. 

Jimmyjammim
Star
Star

It was difficult to know if you were talking to an actual human being. The responses seemed almost robotic. Fix the problem Arlo! 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I appreciate you reaching out with feedback about the notification sound for the Arlo app. The team is aware of the behavior you are experiencing. We have our team looking into it. 

Jennebel75
Guide
Guide

But you’ve been looking into it for years! I’ve seen threads about this since 17! First, can Arlo confirm is it your app or Apple’s iOS?
And why hasn’t there been any communication between your company and theirs? 

if someone is injured due to this I guarantee there will be a class action lawsuit!

Arlo needs to be transparent with their customers and let them know Apple product users have no option to change the notification sounds! This is bad business practices!

JMSP1
Initiate
Initiate

We are having the same problem!!!! What is the point of paying if you are not getting the alarm and when you do it is not loud enough to hear. If it does not get fixed soon will look into a new brand! 

Mugsmt
Star
Star

Arlo just released 4.9 and still no ability to change notification alert sounds…I can’t imagine a company which ignores the wishes of their customer/client base being successful in the long run…time to bite the bullet and move onto another security system where I can actually hear an alert…

SPP
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for letting us know Arlo is aware of this issue.

John70
Initiate
Initiate

Please allow us to change the notification sound for alerts with IOS 17? The new notification sound is so quiet then nobody cannot hear it. 

Jennebel75
Guide
Guide

Apple is no better. I chatted with them again. They wanted proof that I couldn’t change the alert tone then proceeded to tell me there is no option to change the tone. Thanks Sherlock. 

Apple and Arlo just keep circling around the issue. So I’m officially done. I just ordered the SimpliSafe system. If you know someone who has it they can refer you. Right now you get 45% off, a month free of monitoring and a free indoor camera! Plus the person who referred you gets a $250 Visa card!!!! 

Zenwork
Initiate
Initiate

You sound. exactly as UK PM.  vague promises and nothing is going to happen..

Mugsmt
Star
Star

Anyone figure out a work around…downgrade to iOS 16 to at least get tri-tone back?

_Rocky_
Star
Star

Arlo either fixes this issue when running IOS 17 on apple with the now super quiet near on non existent notification sound or i will be very promptly cancelling all of my arlo subscriptions, arlo have decent hardware yet their app is by far the worst app i have ever used plus their customer service team just talk around in circles nonstop trying to confuse you which to date they have personally never sorted out even one issue for me. No wonder people are leaving Arlo in droves cause of them having the most unreliable problematic app ever plus a real pathetic customer service experience.

_Rocky_
Star
Star

When are Arlo going to stop just monitoring this and actually fix this IOS 17 alert tone issue? Arlo urgently need to get this issue fixed ASAP or myself like many others will just leave arlo due to arlo leaving us no other choice due to the complete incompetence by them but to cancel our subscriptions !

When you don’t respond to fixing a major issue for the customers they will simply end up disappearing.

LWL
Initiate
Initiate

Like so many others, I have put up with the notification sound issue for a few years. IOS 17 just makes it worse. If Arlo cared anything about their customers and their safety, they would have fixed it a long time ago. I bought a Blink outdoor camera recently and it does a good job of providing a notification quickly. I have bought a few dollars worth of Arlo cameras over the years, and bought 4 sets for my children. Simply time to move on. Perhaps Arlo will fixed this in a few weeks or months, but I will be purchasing and enjoying my new Blink cameras later this week. If a company makes it clear that they don't care about your safety, why would you care about doing business with them? Perhaps people looking for a new security camera system will read these posts and steer clear of Arlo. We have done them a great service.

Exceltic
Guide
Guide

Arlo, I am sick of it! If this issue will not be fixed with your next App update, I am out and will sell my Arlo stuff!

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

What is the status of the team looking at it. Are they any closer to a solution for iphone users 

Wrightyboy
Initiate
Initiate

It’s shocking, we had intruders trying to break in to our factory yesterday evening. I only noticed the alert as I was sat watching TV. We raced over to the factory and scared them off but had that been in the middle of the night when asleep  would not have been alerted as the Arlo app notification sound has been rendered pretty useless. Until there is a fix I will have to try to sleep with one ear open which is no good for a decent nights sleep! I was intending on buying some more cameras for the factory soon but if this issue isn’t resolved shortly I will be forced to look elsewhere for a whole new non Arlo system as this is hopeless. Not looking forward to my pretty much sleepless nights until/when/if  this issue is sorted. 

Wrightyboy
Initiate
Initiate

Any answers yet please?

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

The only answer I got is that it's up to Apple. I would love to know  if arlo even wants to change the problem and if they have made this a problem that has reached their boardroom/ceo.  If they don't want to change the software of the arlo app,  they clearly don't care about their customers. If they say they can't change it, they have an IT department /company that is incompetent. Both ways not good PR. 

SPP
Tutor
Tutor

My iPhone isn’t working any better with the latest Arlo update. I guess Arlo doesn’t need iPhone customers.

_Rocky_
Star
Star

No yet again from Arlo there has been crickets, the arlo app i have found is by far the most unstable unreliable app i personally use plus their customer service department is truly extremely hopeless plus extremely lazy plus misleading yet again in this case trying to shuffle the blame onto Apple.

Yet again it completely seems that Arlo’s thinking is if they just ignore this major app issue it will simply go away, you go onto other apps where you are able to change the notification sound yet on the Arlo App there is no provision on their app to do just that.

Arlo if you sit on your hands with simply ignoring your paying customers guess what happens? One by one they will have no other choice but to cancel their arlo subscriptions to leave arlo then ditch our arlo camera systems for a different brand that actually works properly.

To say i am super frustrated with Arlo would be an absolute under statement !!

swaffb
Initiate
Initiate

Is changing notifications in ios17 being worked on. My cameras are not usable for security with the current notifications. 

Jimmyjammim
Star
Star

That’s a good question. Arlo hasn’t responded to anything I’ve seen. 

Exceltic
Guide
Guide

I found a workaround for myself!

Lucky if you own Alexa or Echo from Amazon. Download the Arlo skill and Alexa is telling you if something is going on on your property or at your door.

But it is still a shame how Arlo treats its clientele and is unable to program its app properly. Even my BBQ temperature sensors from Meater can send different tones (Critical and Urgent) via the Meater App!