Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Security and peace of mind has never been so easy. Arlo Secure is a new subscription service, allowing you to maximize home security with one plan that covers all of your security devices. Arlo Secure plans deliver smarter interactive alerts, advanced object detection, cloud activity zones and more! 

Arlo Secure Features.PNG

For total peace of mind, our new Arlo Secure Plus offering is equipped with a 24/7 Emergency Response Service. With one touch, dispatch fire, police, or medical responders to the cameras location.

Want to learn more about Arlo Secure? Take a look at the information and resources below:

What is Emergency Response and How do I use it?

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlosecure.html
New Arlo Secure Plan FAQs
What are the available Arlo subscription plans and how much cloud recording is available?
Where is Arlo Secure available?
How do I subscribe to Arlo Secure?
What options will I have when my Arlo free trial plan ends?
What is continuous video recording (CVR) and how do I use it?

If you have any questions about Arlo Secure, post down below and we'll get to you as soon as we can. If you need any more help on Arlo Secure or your Arlo Security System, visit Arlo Support for more information.
Thank you for being part of the Arlo family!

132 REPLIES 132
PGalore
Luminary
Luminary

What exactly has changed aside from the naming of the subscription levels from Premier and Elite to Secure and Secure Plus?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@PGalore wrote:

What exactly has changed aside from the naming of the subscription levels from Premier and Elite to Secure and Secure Plus?

I think the main thing is unlimited cameras (no more limit of 5).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PGalore,

Arlo Secure is a new and improved version of Arlo Smart. Arlo Secure offers unlimited camera plans, which means you can add cameras at any time without any added cost. For US subscribers, Arlo Secure Plus has a new premium Emergency Response feature. Like Arlo Smart, Arlo Secure also includes advanced AI object detection, cloud activity zones, longer and higher resolution cloud recordings, and smart notifications. 

For more information on these differences, take a look here: New Arlo Secure Plan FAQs

JamesC

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Two questions James.  When you say advanced AI like Arlo smart is that saying that it is still the same AI which is still having issues.  Also if you already get 4K cloud, in what way is the cloud resolution any better than elite ? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LandJS,

While improvements are always being made, the Arlo Smart features you mention are still included with Arlo Secure:

"Like Arlo Smart, Arlo Secure also includes advanced AI object detection, cloud activity zones, longer and higher resolution cloud recordings, and smart notifications. "

The main differences if you are a current Arlo Smart user, are the unlimited camera offering and Emergency Response for US Arlo Secure Plus subscribers.

JamesC

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

That pretty much answers that it is basically just the same AI but doesn't answer what is meant by advertising higher cloud resolution than Arlo smart ?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

but doesn't answer what is meant by advertising higher cloud resolution than Arlo smart ?

Where are you seeing that?  I see "Like Arlo Smart, Arlo Secure also includes ... higher resolution cloud recordings "

If you have 5 cameras or less, then IMO this isn't a big change.  If you have more than 5 cameras with a paid subscription, it will obviously save you money.

Folks on the business plans also can save quite a bit of money with these changes. Professional for instance is $24.99 per month for 24 cameras and 30 days of 1080p recordings..  Folks with that plan are clearly better off switching to Secure or Secure Plus.

PGalore
Luminary
Luminary

You're exactly right, Land JS! The only improvement is that you can add as many cameras as you like without additional costs.  I wish Arlo allocated resources to actually improve services rather than rebranding things. 

PGalore
Luminary
Luminary

Not to mention, still 4K "live streaming" (mind you, not "cloud recording") and local SD card recording with Ultra cameras are turned off after the 1-year trial subscription ends, even though these features should be available regardless of subscription status. https://kb.arlo.com/000062127/How-do-I-stream-in-4K-with-my-Arlo-Ultra-camera

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Yes StephenB I see what your saying and I just assumed improvements were being made.  I guess when it said "Arlo secure plans deliver smarter interactive alerts, advanced object detection, cloud activity zones and more" it should have also said "just like Arlo smart" and I wouldn't have got the impression we were getting something new and improved.  If everything is the same as Arlo smart except unlimited cameras (remember it didn't originally have a 5 camera limit) and a improved version of 911 one has to ask - why the hell didn't they just remove the 5 cam limit and update 911 in Arlo smart instead of changing the name and making it sound like a new car.  Give me a break it's just a ginger bread story to what already existed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

(remember it didn't originally have a 5 camera limit) 

It wasn't unlimited, and if you wanted 4K you had to pay a $1.99/month premium for each camera.  I think the Premier/Elite pricing worked out to be cheaper for most Pro3/Ultra owners after you factored in the premium - though it was more expensive for folks with lots of cameras.  Eliminating the camera limit fixes that.

Changing the names makes sense to me.  We have the old Premier plan and the new Premier plan confusion already (since some folks still have and renew the old one), having yet another Premier plan in the mix is just silly.

I don't see why anyone should get upset about this - no downside for anyone, and cheaper subscriptions/less friction for some.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

opinion Stephen just opinion.  If simply dropping the limit and improving the 911 will confuse someone they probably couldn't set one up anyway.  The two premiers weren't just an improvement but two entirely different plans with the same name so your not comparing apples to apples with that point.

dcfox1
Master
Master

It is just a name change with two changes for the better for some.  It's like complaining about the brand of beer at a free beer party. 

MarkWCO
Star
Star
I have a question about Emergency Response and e911. I plan to get the Secure plan. Yet it seems only Secure Plus has Emergency Response. Is that correct? If so does Secure offer the e911 feature that I have with my Smart plan or do I lose that?
MarkWCO
Star
Star
Previously I paid for Arlo Smart on a yearly plan which saved around $20 a year. Can I pay for Arlo Secure yearly or can I only pay monthly?
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

yeah DC but I wouldn't tell everyone they were getting a great new Canadian whiskey and serve them Mad dog 20/20

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MarkWCO wrote:
I have a question about Emergency Response and e911. I plan to get the Secure plan. Yet it seems only Secure Plus has Emergency Response. Is that correct? If so does Secure offer the e911 feature that I have with my Smart plan or do I lose that?

I think you will lose E911 if you migrate to Secure. 

So if that matters, then you could just stay with Premier.  Be careful never to cancel or let it expire.

beezle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I currently have 5 cameras, 2 of which are on Arlo Smart as individual cameras ($2.99 each), and 3 more which are in the trial period.  4 are at one home, and 1 is at another home.  I was planning to switch to the Arlo Smart plan that would allow 5 cameras at $9.99 a month when the trial period expires, but now with the new Secure plan, I am wondering what my options are?  Per the fine print "Unlimited camera support plans apply only to Arlo cameras at a single residential location and on the same Arlo account".  So will I have to have 2 plans (one for each home) at $9.99 a month each since I have 2 residences?  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@beezle wrote:

Per the fine print "Unlimited camera support plans apply only to Arlo cameras at a single residential location and on the same Arlo account".  So will I have to have 2 plans (one for each home) at $9.99 a month each since I have 2 residences?  

I believe you can use a single plan, though that does appear to be a violation of the terms of service.  AFAIK Arlo does not know the location of the various cameras and base stations.

Hopefully Arlo will clarify that text.  

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

StephenB AFAIK would only apply if you aren't using e911 under smart or secure emergency services and that would also require secure plus.  If not used I would agree they wouldn't know and shouldn't need to know.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

StephenB AFAIK would only apply if you aren't using e911 under smart or secure emergency services and that would also require secure plus. 

Arlo isn't figuring out where the base station/cameras are when you use the E911 service.  They just use the address information in the account profile. 

So if you have cameras in two locations, you'd need to be careful not to use the e911 service when a camera at the "other" location shows a problem.  FWIW, that is also true with the current plans.

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I saw something in the new subscription announcement that seemed like animated thumbnails on the main camera display. Can anyone confirm that?
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok, I see now that it's called Animated Preview. For those who have tried it, what do you think? Thanks!
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

beezel the FAQ you might look at is "I am on a trial plan what happens when the trial ends"  It appears to me to be saying those cams would have to move to the secure plan.  Perhaps James could answer if having the 2 single cams will let you migrate the trial cams.