Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Disable mode change notification - we are startled & waken up to system Armed notifications

Discussion stats
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I use a routine to Arm Home at midnight, and then switch to Standby in early morning. 
Now I get woken to an Arlo notification in my phone when the automation runs and the system is Armed and then unarmed. 

Please disable these! We wake up to an Arlo alert, which can be frightening, only to see our system as armed like we wanted it to. 

Or give us the option to disable such non-useful notifications. 

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

We appreciate and are reviewing the feedback provided about the recent enhancement for mode change notifications. The details provided in this thread and others has been shared with the relevant teams internally. I will provide an update here once I have more information available to share.

JamesC

104 REPLIES 104
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I use Do Not Disturb on my phone at night so notifications don't wake me. Of course, that disables all Arlo (and other) notifications so you may need to enable some but not others.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Right, that disabled all. 

We need more control over notifications, which ones we want to receive, which ones we don't. 

It defeats the purpose of getting an Arlo notification for a security event, camera detects person, motion detection etc.. 

Brewgod23
Guide
Guide

I want to disable this notification feature such that I don’t get notification alerts every time I arm or switch to standby mode. Is Arlo working on allowing us to disable arm/standby without notifications? I don’t like this new update.

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

I assuming this is due to a recent update...

Each time I change my cameras status (away, home, standby) it sends a notification to my phone. This is frustrating as I'm well aware the mode change since I just did it.

I've checked my phone notification settings and the only option is to fully disable notifications. The app also doesn't have a specific option to disable. 

Any other options? Is disabling this in the works? 

JetSunvale
Initiate
Initiate

Agreed!!! This notification needs to be disabled ASAP! I looked all through the app… no way to disable.  Hit us with the update now Arlo! Terrible idea.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Jo060 

Thank you for the feedback. These alerts are functioning as designed. If there are any changes in the future, I will be sure to update you here. 

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

Is there a way to disable it? It's especially annoying that it sends it to all users.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

At this time there is not. 

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo you have pushed many people to consider drop your services. Including me. Stop deciding what notifications I receive and let me make those decisions. I am an adult with full mental capacity. You’ve had 17 days to fix this. I promise you will lose customers. I’ve been considering a POE system for years. No battery to charge. Not internet dependent. Records 24 hours a day. No more expensive than your product. So why should I stick with you when I have better options?
So is Arlo going to fix this screw up or are they just going to keep making decisions for adults? I don’t need Arlo deciding what notifications I do or don’t receive. What I need is total functional control over the product that I paid a lot of money for. 

Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree with everyone here; before this app update I could switch modes without then getting an annoying notification.  Worse yet, I might be home and need to switch modes (for example from Arm Home to Standby when I will be in view of our front doorbell camera to water flowers, etc) and then my wife gets an annoying notification while she is in an important meeting.

@jguerdat This "mode change push notification" was thrust upon us, and many of us are not please with it.  Can you respond and let us know whether your Internal Team is working on an app update to give us the ability to turn these specific "mode change notifications" off, if we so choose ?

Look forward to your response.  I could open a new case if that's recommended.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A new case would be the appropriate method since I'm just another user like you. Any "gurus" are just users who have spent a long time with the systems and have more experience but are not Arlo employees. I'm retired IT and have been using Arlo since nearly its inception.

Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok thank you for that clarification.  That is helpful !

Can I ask --- are you now receiving the annoying push notifications on all of the trusted devices on the account whenever you manually change mode; for example: from Arm Home to Standby, or from Arm Away to Arm Home ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, and I have been for quite some time. Of all the notifications I get, that's a minor one that I just swipe away. More annoying is the new one from FB that tells me my Messenger Lite messages are moving to Messenger and can't be swiped or otherwise removed.

olsenlars
Initiate
Initiate

Everytime the system changes mode (from home to away, or back) all the associated phones get a push message. This happes no matter if the change was done manually (F.ex. I switch modes before going in my garden) or done by automation (I make sure that the system is automatically armed every night). Please make this optional, please add a way for us to turn it off. It's disturbing, and shouldn't be mandatory...

U123
Initiate
Initiate

How do I turn off the push notification when routine mode changes from Arm Away/Arm Home/Standy? This just started occurring and Tech Support has no idea how to make it stop. This can be very jarring when you're asleep and the notification alerts due to automation change.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@U123 wrote:

How do I turn off the push notification when routine mode changes from Arm Away/Arm Home/Standy?

Unfortunately you can't.

While there are times when this would be useful, it would be nice if you could block the notification.

As an aside, it'd be nice if the mode changes showed up in Feed (whether blocked or not), so there would be a clear record of activity.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is this using the iOS app? On Android I haven't been getting push notifications but mode changes due to schedule, geofencing or manual changes are noted in Feed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Is this using the iOS app? On Android I haven't been getting push notifications but mode changes due to schedule, geofencing or manual changes are noted in Feed.

With iOS I am getting a push notification whenever I manually change the mode - for instance from Arm Home to Arm Away.  This is with Feed.

These notifications make some sense if you have the home security system, as it lets you know when someone changes the mode from the security system keypad.  But for most cases, I'd rather see the mode changes as part of the feed (like the sensor detection events), and have the option to block the notifications.  Then I have a clear record of when the system was armed/disarmed, without the annoyance of the notifications.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I misspoke - I DO get push notifications and a sound associated with them. I do not get sound at night due to my DND settings. Previous posts seem to have indicated that Samsung phone settings for DND are different from the stock Android ones which may be part of the overall issue but it also sounds like iOS has the same issue.

Having Feed notifications is a Good Thing while the push notifications and sound would seem to be a personal preference. A change to allow users to select would easily solve this.

Brewgod23
Guide
Guide

It seems that Arlo doesn’t read this board or care about their users because they do nothing about this issue. If they would read all these messages they would do something if they truly cared about their customers. Maybe someone can figure out the CEO’s contact information so we can make our disappointment known.

Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just fyi -- I have an open case with Arlo Support for this very problem.  Here is the latest information they posted to me:

Your Case Details
Case Number: 43643462
Subject: A9F61776A190B_Wanted to disable the push notification whenever mode is changed_4UX
Product: VMC4050B

Case Update

Hi Ron,

Good day!

We apologize for the ongoing issue you are experiencing. We understand how frustrating it can be when a problem persists, and we are committed to resolving it for you as quickly as possible.

Please keep in mind that this is a known issue and that you are one of the other affected customers. We apologize for the delayed resolution of your case. Please don’t worry, our internal team is working very hard to resolve the current issue. Yet the turnaround time cannot be determined.

Thank you for your continued understanding and patience. We will leave the case open, and our engineering team will provide updates from time to time until the issue has been fully rectified.

Please feel free to let us know if you require any assistance or support from our end. We will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Charmaine

Arlo Support Expert 

Brad71x
Initiate
Initiate

This feature needs to be changed to owner controlled, I leave my house at 430 in the morning, turn off the system until after I leave as to not wake my wife now it doesn't matter she still gets a notification.

GoBraves
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have been round and round directly with ARLO tech support about this topic over the past couple of weeks. Basically they turned on this function with the August update and say they can only disable it through another update. I really don’t think they had any intention to disable it given that they gave us the end user no control over it but they may be changing their minds. Fingers crossed because I told them very abruptly and uncensored that they ARE going to lose a lot of customers. I am already shopping for a wired POE system. I will figure out what to do with my ARLO crap later on once I get the new system installed and the ARLO subscription has run out. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We appreciate and are reviewing the feedback provided about the recent enhancement for mode change notifications. The details provided in this thread and others has been shared with the relevant teams internally. I will provide an update here once I have more information available to share.

JamesC