Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Blocking / masking out neighbors garden

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
fishcams
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is necessary and lawful to be able to select an are for recording, and have the rest of the area black, or blurred. So many posts appear in Arlo support regarding this, back to 2015 I found. EU laws are very strict, and Arlo is operating in the EU for many years. There simply needs to be a sofware update allowing users to mask out a neighbors garden, for example. Why has this been ignored?  It is insane to take a wide view camera like my floodlight 3, and try to zoom and position it so that the neighbors yard is not in my videos. By doing this, I completely defeat the purpose on my home surveillance, as my field of view is drastically reduced on my own property. Please release udates that will allow us users in the EU to legally monitor our property! Please!!

10 REPLIES 10
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You can create an activity zone within the settings of the floodlight camera. When doing this it only picks up what's within that zone. Also you can try to position the camera different so it does not get your neighbors yard as much. I will also pass this feature suggestion onto the development team. 

fishcams
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, Thanks for your quick reply... however, as this has already been a topic of discussion for at least 8+ years now... that exact same suggestion that you present here, has been suggested over and over and over. 

Obviously, this is not an actual solution to the problem.  When I zoom and reposition, I can only fit my garden table and chairs in the field of view, the rest of the yard is not being monitored... what we need, especially here in the EU, is a way to create a masked out area, using the same tool as with creating an activity zone. Such that everything outside that zone is either black, or blurred.  Only then, can we take advantage of our wonderful wide angle 2K Arlo cameras, without breaking the law, and worrying our neighbors.  My feeling is that a software/firmware update would be able to provide this.  I hope that the time is right for this to finally happen!  Thanks again.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have passed on this feature request to the development team as well. I will provide any updates to the community. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@fishcams  You can setup Privacy Zones to masked out/blur out specific areas that you don't want to monitor.. But the Privacy Zone is only applicable for Pro 5S, Essential Spotlight and XL and AVD2001-the wirefree doorbell. But those cameras do have that feature already. 

fishcams
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow!  This is wonderful news!!  I sincerely hope that there is a way to roll this out the the existing Arlo Pro3 Floodlight cameras and software. I cannot imagine upgrading all my existing hardware, just to be able to have this feature... however, I apparently cannot continue, legally speaking, to use my existing hardware, without this update. Fingers crossed.  Thanks for the information!

UffeN
Initiate
Initiate

Are several version of the Arlo Essential Camera? How do I know if I have an Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo Essential Spotlight has the following model number  VMC2330-100NAS. 

Launch the Arlo app or log in to your Arlo account at my.arlo.com.

1. Tap or click Settings > My Devices.
  2. Select an Arlo device.
  3. Tap or click Device Info.
    The serial number and firmware version display.

Snils
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m actually disappointed Arlo isn’t communicating more open about privacy zones for still in sales models like my 8 Ultra 2 cameras divided into 2 bases. Very pricy cameras, AI’m paying monthly subscription fees for Arlo secure plus.

I don’t feel the that Arlo is taking this seriously enough. Just to compare, indoors my Tapo camera supports for privacy zones and has done for long time. It can be done by firmware, it is just a question about priorities @ Arlo.

I am really thinking about switching to Tapo outdoors to, as the Arlo cameras don’t even notify you when a camera isn’t available because of temporary signal disturbance which also makes it kind of a useless system. I will write more on this in another post soon.

So to Arlo regarding privacy zones basically all other camera brand supports, what is your roadmap for this on my Ultra 2 cameras?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Here is some information on our privacy zones. They are on the newer models, however they more than likely will not be on any legacy devices. 

https://www.arlo.com/en_gb/support/faq/digital-masking-privacy-zones/what-are-arlo-privacy-zones-and...