Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Beware of support scam websites

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BadRobot
Guide
Guide

Beware of website Kartmild.com (888) 218-4116 This is an Arlo Scam site.. Shame that the real Arlo isn't aware of this site and others that will offer you support them try to scam you out of money. How can a Security Company that suppose provide piece of mind allow ots customers to be Scammed? Why does Arlo outsource its Customer Support outside of USA 🇺🇸? I dont trust Arlo anymore.. Please be aware of Arlo Security Camera Scams!!!

Best answers
5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BadRobot wrote:
Shame that the real Arlo isn't aware of this site

New ones pop up all the time, and it is hard to get them shut down.  One aspect is that it is legal for a company to offer third-party support.

There is some relevant information here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062119/How-can-I-avoid-Arlo-support-scams

BadRobot
Guide
Guide
Stephen, no excuse for a company that's primary function is security and piece of mind. I am highly discouraged and lost trust in Arlo..
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BadRobot wrote:
Stephen, no excuse for a company that's primary function is security and piece of mind. 

While it would be good if Arlo could shut down scam sites quicker,  I suggest that you research what it takes to do that.  It's a legal process (sending cease and desist orders, etc), and can be particularly tricky if the site is in a different jurisdiction.  It is fast for people to spin up these sites, and not so fast both find them and take them down.

Plus, it is legal for people to offer third-party support, and the boundary between legit (though perhaps ineffective) support and scammers isn't always clear.

@BadRobot wrote:
Just a bit of feedback to you. After reviewing some of the Faulty Arlo Pro 4 Camera issues. Please provide viable solutions.

Feedback to you:  After you've actually helped other people, we can talk about this again.

BadRobot
Guide
Guide
Trying to help the community be aware of Scams and how easy it is to fall prey.
An unfortunate Arlo Consumer got scammed out of $1300.00. I don't find this absolutely appalling. I don't understand why we are fighting about this and not coming up with a solution to make consumers aware of these third party Scammers. A brightly colored warning in every Arlo product box would be a start. I would like to see a banner on my Arlo APP warning me not to use anything but the Arlo APP for Customer Support. I do not accept solution or this issue solved at this time.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BadRobot wrote:
A brightly colored warning in every Arlo product box would be a start. I would like to see a banner on my Arlo APP warning me not to use anything but the Arlo APP for Customer Support.

A warning on the packaging or perhaps inside the box is a good idea.

Banners might be more controversial - there isn't much screen real estate in the app, and I have seen complaints about banners posted over the years.  Though as you might expect,  screen popups draw more complaints - especially when they slow down the ability to see video after a notification.

This is a big problem on the internet generally.  There is plenty of advice out there already telling people

• not to click on links in unsolicited "support" emails warning you of a problem
  • not to google for support numbers or websites
  • always start with the real vendor site when looking for service/support.

But too many people just ignore that advice.