Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo app crashes

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

For a couple weeks now, possibly after the last update, I've had an orange dot over the hamburger menu (upper right of app). I tap it, choose settings, and the app crashes. I can no longer get into settings in the app, crashes every time. Nothing has changed on my phone, it's running android 9.

When is arlo going to fix the app and put out a new update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

As I said, the problem with my base showing offline was on Arlo's end. Their engineers fixed it later that same night. The next day support followed up with me, and I have to give them credit, the two people I spoke with were pretty good, they didn't make me try meaningless rebooting and such, they went right to the engineers, and they fixed the problem.

Last night I finally uninstalled the arlo app, rebooted my phone, then reinstalled the arlo app. After logging back in settings in the app is now working again. No crashing. However, the orange dot over the "hamburger menu" is still there. There is nothing in settings that needs attention, I went thru all the settings. I'll just ignore the orange dot for now.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
sereneione
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same orange dot but thankfully can still go into my settings without the app crashing. No idea what the orange dot is about. I also hope that this can be resolved soon. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sereneione wrote:

No idea what the orange dot is about. 

The orange dot is shown when Arlo thinks there is a setting that needs attention.  It's not a bug.

When you go into settings, you should see the orange dot next to the setting that Arlo wants you to review.  Also, look for an orange message at the top of the settings page.

@pc2k17 :  Have you tried looking at the settings from a PC (browsing to my.arlo.com)?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I just tried, was able to get into all settings on my PC. Guess something has happened to my app. When I have a few minutes, I'll try an uninstall and reinstall of the app. Thanks.

sereneione
Aspirant
Aspirant

I didn't see the orange dot anywhere after going into settings. I went into each item in settings to check. There's also no orange message at the top. 

Tried checking the settings on the web (PC) as well. No luck, though the orange dot is nowhere to be seen. 

Orange dot is still in the app as of this writing.

Rr9
Aspirant
Aspirant

The same happens to me . I updated on my Galaxy s21 plus, now when I go to settings. Crash. And yes I have orange nice too. Issue coincided when recent updates

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the info, which version of the Arlo app is this occurring on for all of you? Can you make sure you are updated to the latest V4.2

thank you 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I am on the latest version Arlo Secure 4.2. Updated to that version on March 6th. That same day I started having this issue.

And now I return home try to change my mode to home mode so my interior cameras turn off and arlo app and website says my base is offline. IT IS NOT OFFLINE. It's recording video sending it to the cloud and giving me alerts, clearly online, but app and website say offline. I can't change my mode so now my interior cameras are stuck on. Luckily, I have smart things so I can turn the cameras off using that. I rebooted my entire network. NOT on my end. Fix this mess now!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@pc2k17 

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Who has time for that... I am busy all night, have no time to waste with support when the problem is obviously on the Arlo end.

And besides, I can't get into the app to contact arlo support. It says everything is offline and trying settings crashes the app!!!!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@pc2k17 

I have escalated your case & someone from support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. I have provided your escalations number here: 43410330

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Thanks. I just spoke with support. They have other calls with same issue so they are checking with engineering to see if this is a outage of some sort, but they have not heard back yet.

I turned the cameras off in smartthings so the interior cameras don't keep recording.

I have 9 arlo cameras and I also have 3 reolink cameras and an NVR. The two systems act as backups for the other. Arlo is still recording and sending me alerts but I can't change modes and I can't view any videos since it thinks my base is offline. I can view videos from my other system so at least I have those.

Support will get back to me when they hear from engineering.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I also just noticed that I can view my library and the cameras are still recording. So, I can watch recorded videos, all I can't do is live view and change modes. (plus the app settings crashing issue)

Rr9
Aspirant
Aspirant
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

As I said, the problem with my base showing offline was on Arlo's end. Their engineers fixed it later that same night. The next day support followed up with me, and I have to give them credit, the two people I spoke with were pretty good, they didn't make me try meaningless rebooting and such, they went right to the engineers, and they fixed the problem.

Last night I finally uninstalled the arlo app, rebooted my phone, then reinstalled the arlo app. After logging back in settings in the app is now working again. No crashing. However, the orange dot over the "hamburger menu" is still there. There is nothing in settings that needs attention, I went thru all the settings. I'll just ignore the orange dot for now.

Rr9
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can confirm that it's fixed on my side. thank you all