Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Tutor
Tutor

I just got new cameras but was forced to update to Arlo Secure as part of that.  With the prior system I was able to create custom modes.  I need to be able to have one mode for when we are home  (only outside cameras working), one when we are away (everything armed), one where everything is disarmed (standby) and one where the siren is triggered only IF there is motion detected in the garage after 11pm.  I do not want the sirens going off when we are near the base station as it is deafening but I do want it to go off when we are sleeping to wake us up.  If I attempt to create an automation to include the siren in the garage at 11pm, all that does is set the siren off automatically at 11pm regardless of whether or not there is motion detected.    Is there really no way to accomplish this with the new system?  Any insight would be much appreciate.  

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

While custom modes are not available with the new UI experience, you can adjust the rules for the Arm Home, Arm Away and Standby modes to fit your needs.

It sounds like you may need to set up a schedule within automations to accomplish what you're trying to do.

For more information on this, take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062942/How-do-I-add-a-Schedule-Automation-to-my-Arlo-system#:~:text=To%20crea...

JamesC

Tutor
Tutor

I appreciate the response; however this most certainly doesn't fit my needs.  The scheduling is strictly tied to changing modes or automatically setting off a siren or starting a recording.  If there are only 3 modes to choose from, there is no way to accomplish what I need to:

1.  I need to have certain times of the day where I everything is disarmed

2.  I need to have certain times of the day where only outdoor is armed but no sirens going off

3.  I need to have certain times of the day where all cameras are armed and recording and notifying but no sirens.

4. I need to have certain times of the day where if a certain camera detects motion it records, notifies and triggers the sirens

There is virtually no way to do this now.

ChrisWheeler
Tutor
Tutor

The new UI is very frustrating to use. Especially when the functionality has decreased. My cameras are now more useless than before when I upgraded. I keep wanting to like Arlo but every time they change something it makes me want to switch to another company. IE: end of life policy.

Why can’t we create custom modes?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's due to the security system hub only having 3 modes to be selected. I suppose there could be a way to integrate more modes for only cameras but the architecture simply may not support that. In many cases, use of all 3 modes, including Standby, can be utilized to accomplish at least most of what's required. Of course, more complex setups wouldn't be able to do this.

Tutor
Tutor

Except that it doesn’t allow for accomplishing most of what is desired for advanced users.  The functionality has decreased.  I literally had to buy a camera from a different company to be able to create a 4th scenario.  And super frustrating that Arlo does not acknowledge this.  If I knew that they were working to pass through another update to restore custom modes, I’d be patient.  As it stands I will probably need to slowly start replacing my cameras with something else to meet my needs.

perturbedUser
Guide
Guide

@jguerdat wrote:

I suppose there could be a way to integrate more modes for only cameras but the architecture simply may not support that.

I find it extremely hard to believe that "the architecture may not support that". Unless they changed their entire back end API (non public facing), THE CODE IS ALREADY THERE! It's just not exposed in the new front-end.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@perturbedUser wrote:

@jguerdat wrote:

I suppose there could be a way to integrate more modes for only cameras but the architecture simply may not support that.

I find it extremely hard to believe that "the architecture may not support that". Unless they changed their entire back end API (non public facing), THE CODE IS ALREADY THERE! It's just not exposed in the new front-end.

No idea what they are planning, but clearly a lot of users need the custom mode feature.

I agree that the barrier isn't the architecture (at least not the way I use the term).

It's that Arlo choose to put hard controls for each mode on the home security system.  While that isn't relevant to folks who haven't purchased that system, I think it is quite important to Arlo that the full system operate consistently.  So they need to come up with a way to present the functionality to the users that works seamlessly with the existing controls on the the home security system. They also have to figure out how to make scheduling simpler, how to make automations comprehensible, and fix a lot of bugs. 

Hopefully they'll dig themselves out of the mess they created fairly soon.

markoz
Tutor
Tutor

I was recently forced to switch to the new Feed interface having encountered problems trying to share my cameras with my wife.

My previous set-up in the library interface made use of 5 modes which is no longer supported.

What a joke! 

After the EOL fiasco for older cameras last year, I was happy that Arlo revoked the decision and even offered newer cameras and subscriptions at a reduced price.  I thought that maybe they've started treating their customers better and even bought new Arlo cameras at the discounted price.  Now less than 12 months later, I discover that these cameras no longer provide the required functionality.

If anyone at Arlo support actually reads these forums, please could you correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding that it is not possible to add additional modes.

I purchased my latest cameras on the expectation that customised modes were supported (which seemed like a reasonable assumption as this has been the case since I first starting using Arlo cameras in 2016).

As this functionality has now been removed, the cameras no longer meet the Australian ACCC consumer right's guarantee that a product must be fit for purpose.  As such, I will be requesting a full refund.

While Arlo continue to treat their customers with a complete lack of respect, I would not recommend that anyone purchases Arlo's products.