Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Add cameras to Arlo Secure?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DamJames
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo secure plan that says “unlimited cameras”.  I set up the plan with two cameras at our primary residence.  When I installed two cameras at our river house,  they were excluded from my plan.  Arlo wants me to purchase an additional plan.  That seems excessive.  I get notifications , but cannot view any videos.  
1.  Can I get these cameras added to my secure plan?

2.  If I added a smart hub would that negate the need for a “plan”?

3.  What the hell is a smart hub?

thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DamJames wrote:

I have an Arlo secure plan that says “unlimited cameras”.  I set up the plan with two cameras at our primary residence.  When I installed two cameras at our river house,  they were excluded from my plan.  Arlo wants me to purchase an additional plan.  That seems excessive.   

FWIW, I agree.  But Arlo does require one subscription per location.

That said, there are some business subscribers who have a lot of locations, so there probably would need to be a limit on the number of locations if Arlo changed this.  I think it'd be reasonable to allow two locations with a single subscription, and then add one subscription per location if folks need more.

@DamJames wrote:

See

It's basically a specialized router for the cameras.  There is a "direct access to local storage" feature that some use instead of a subscription.  So you could put the smarthub in one location, and just keep the subscription at the other.  

There are lot of limitations though

• recordings can only be viewed from the primary account (not shared accounts)
  • recordings can only be viewed in the app (not my.arlo.com)
  • no ability to make snapshots or manual recordings
  • no thumbnails, videos needs to be downloaded to the phone to see anything
  • the videos don't show up in feed, so there are a couple extra steps needed to access them
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult, and which don't work with some internet service providers

Plus the subscription also includes activity zones and smart notifications.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DamJames wrote:

I have an Arlo secure plan that says “unlimited cameras”.  I set up the plan with two cameras at our primary residence.  When I installed two cameras at our river house,  they were excluded from my plan.  Arlo wants me to purchase an additional plan.  That seems excessive.   

FWIW, I agree.  But Arlo does require one subscription per location.

That said, there are some business subscribers who have a lot of locations, so there probably would need to be a limit on the number of locations if Arlo changed this.  I think it'd be reasonable to allow two locations with a single subscription, and then add one subscription per location if folks need more.

@DamJames wrote:

See

It's basically a specialized router for the cameras.  There is a "direct access to local storage" feature that some use instead of a subscription.  So you could put the smarthub in one location, and just keep the subscription at the other.  

There are lot of limitations though

• recordings can only be viewed from the primary account (not shared accounts)
  • recordings can only be viewed in the app (not my.arlo.com)
  • no ability to make snapshots or manual recordings
  • no thumbnails, videos needs to be downloaded to the phone to see anything
  • the videos don't show up in feed, so there are a couple extra steps needed to access them
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult, and which don't work with some internet service providers

Plus the subscription also includes activity zones and smart notifications.

DamJames
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to explain this  Stephen.  Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but helpful