Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My arlo Q-Plus cannot be reconnected after removal from the list of my devices

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Emmerich65
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Q-Plus recently started to blink alternately in blue-lila-amber and was shown as 'disconnected' in settings. Despite of that it was working without any problems, I had the live picture, could make recording, was reacting on motion and sound when it was armed. I called Arlo Support but they couldn't say anything smart, besides that I just should remove it and add it again to the list of my devices. Which I did. What a mistake!

Since then I cannot connect the camera again! Doing it on my mobile, I'm reaching the step, when the camera should recognize the QR code displayed on my mobile, and it does! The camera gives this typical chime sound, which can only mean, it has communicated to the backend, since this QR code is for identification purpose. In the next step, however, that camera is not found in the search.

I tried to hard reset the camera - as it was recommended a month earlier for the same problem and when it actually solved the problem. Now even after the hard reset, the camera is not found after the QR code is recognized by the camera. 

The hit is, that the camera is not found (can cannot be connected) even when connected via the ethernet cable to the router. And the camera was working before I removed it from my devices' list!

Arlo Support, doesn't answer my basic questions (like why the camera cannot be connected even via ethernet cable), and only provides me nonsense recommendations, like check WLAN speed in my home, or change the Base Station's connection to the router (when the Q-Plus connects directly to the router without the Base Station...). 

This is like a nightmare, and believe more and more, that there is a strategy of Arlo behind this. Both of my Arlo Q-Plus cameras had issues and could not be connected any more shorty after the expiration of the warranty period of two years. Arlo Q-Plus cameras do not bring additional revenue for Arlo (after having sold them), since they come with a 7-days free storage in the cloud (which means I do not need to sign up for an chargeable Abo of Arlo for extra fee). For Arlo is only good that Arlo Q-Plus cameras disappear from the users and the market (they are not even sold any more), because any new camera needs and extra Abo, if I want to have cloud storage. 

Does anyone have the same experience?

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

What is the LED behavior on the camera now? Do you see the correct LED behavior after attempting the factory reset?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062665/How-to-factory-reset-an-Arlo-Q-or-Arlo-Q-Plus-Camera#:~:text=Use%20a%2...

JamesC

Emmerich65
Aspirant
Aspirant

The LED behaviour is correct as it should be.

As I wrote everything works, the QR-Code displayed on my mobile is recognized ( I get this typical chime sound) by the camera, but in the next step the 'finding' of the camera fails.

Again: for recognizing the validity of the QR-code the camera must have communicated with the Arlo server, which means the issue is not how my camera connects to internet. 

And: I cannot get the camera set up even, when it is directly connected per ethernet cable to the router! How can this be? The camera was perfectly working without issue until I manually removed it from the list of my cameras.

I raised these two question several times to Arlo Support, and they simply ignore them. They just continue giving me nonsense recommendations.

Unbelievable! 

Emmerich65
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey,

I created a video of trying to connect my Arlo Q-Plus camera and published it on Youtube:

https://youtube.com/shorts/RQwpsB-8XW0

It shows, that the camera recognizes the QR Code of my mobile phone, which proves that the camera communicates to the Arlo server in the backend. But in the next, last step the camera is not found. 

Prior to that, all actions requested by Arlo Support are done: only 2.4 GHz network is on (5 GHz is off), the mobile data on my mobile phone is turned off, it is also connected to the 2.4 GHz wifi network.

Also, my Q-Plus camera was deleted from unused device connections in the home network of my Fritzbox router. After the attempt to connect the camera, however, it appeared again on the list of the unused device connections in the home network of my router, with a new IP. Which means, it has internet access!

The root-cause of the issue can be only somewhere in the backend in the Arlo server, nothing is wrong my Q-Plus camera or my wifi home network. 

And since several months Arlo Support cannot, or better to say, doesn't seriously want to help with this.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Emmerich65 wrote:

Again: for recognizing the validity of the QR-code the camera must have communicated with the Arlo server, which means the issue is not how my camera connects to internet. 

Actually, the chime just means that the camera was able to scan the code.  That doesn't require a network connection.

You can check to see if the camera is connected to your home network by looking at your router's attached device list.  

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation