Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Plus still worth it?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
maskasuba
Follower
Follower

I've got a system with a number of Arlo Pro 3s and a Q plus thrown into the mix. I really like the Q Plus, which has some real advantages despite being wired and not looking quite as futuristic:

- it's wired, so no hassle with recharging

- connectivity is generally more stable - although does drop out occasionally for no good reason

- I can switch it on and off / schedule it independently of my hub

- it picks up movement through windows better than the Pro 3 IMHO.

I want to add another camera to my network in a spot where I have an ethernet connection and am considering picking up a Q Plus on Amazon. I note that Arlo are no longer selling it on their site - the closest equivalent that I can see is the Arlo Essential.

Any tips/thoughts on whether the Q Plus is outdated - is the Essential the one to buy now if you want corded? Comments appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@maskasuba wrote:

Any tips/thoughts on whether the Q Plus is outdated 

It's on the EOL list, with an EOL date of 1 January 2025.

The essential indoor (and the essential indoor gen 2) cameras are similar, but connect over wifi, and not ethernet.  You will need power at the camera location.

The Q models were sold with 7 days of free cloud storage.  The essentials (like all currently sold models) don't have that, so you will need a subscription for them.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation