Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Plus Motion/Sound Detection stopped working when power is turned on.

Discussion stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

About a week ago (start of November 2021) my Arlo Q Plus stopped detecting Motion & Sound triggers when the camera is turned on at the power point, and hence recordings are not sent to Cloud and I'm not receiving Notifications & Emails.

I can connect to the camera using my iPhone app and I can manually record to the Cloud without problems.

I normally have the camera in Armed mode and when I get home I just turn the camera off at the power point and turn it back on when I go out.  Motion/Sound detection worked fine for the past four years until about a week ago presumably due to a camera firmware update.

I tried deleting the camera from the app and then adding the device back but it didn't fix the problem.

I eventually discovered that if I Disarm & Arm the camera in the App then the Motion/Sound detection works fine again.

However as soon as I turn the power off & back on then Motion/Sound detection stops working again even though the camera is showing as Armed.

This is a major issue because if I'm out, or away or on holidays, and there is a temporary power outage then the Motion/Sound detection will not work once power is back on. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue and how can I notify Arlo of the issue as my camera is out of warranty and I'm no longer getting support?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There has been an update that should resolve this issue with your Arlo Q not detected motion. Can you reboot your cameras and test again.

Thank you

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

This is now a known issue, the Arlo development team is currently investigating this. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

45 REPLIES 45
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have an explanation but why not simply use geofencing instead of physically turning the camera on and off?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

I don't have an explanation but why not simply use geofencing instead of physically turning the camera on and off?

I think the concern with that workaround is that a short power outage would effectively disarm the camera - though it would appear armed in the app.

If any camera restart has the same effect as the power outage, then a firmware update might also create the same problem.

Another workaround is to create a schedule to briefly disarm/rearm the camera a couple times a day (disarming for 1 minute).  That would ensure the camera would eventually re-arm.

@JamesC - I think this is something Arlo should investigate.

George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply and suggestion.  I have found Geofencing unreliable, but I actually like to test that the camera is working & sending notifications before I leave home.

George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply and suggestion.

I have also discovered that another two problems that started so there are three problems.

1. Motion/Sound detection does not work when camera is powered on.  (Manually fixed by disarming & arming again.)

2. Email Alerts stopped working even though the option is selected and has a valid email address.  Tried adding a second email address but still nothing.  They are not going to Spam and they are not blocked.  (Push Notifications are working okay.)

3.  Even though I have recordings set to 120 secs, the recordings have started recording for only the duration of motion.

Arlo really need to reverse the camera firmware update which caused these issues.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @George8888

Can you reproduce the issue, then arm/disarm, then inform me ASAP so I can have y team investigate your backend information on your device.

Thank you

George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello ShayneS, thank you for your reply and offer for assistance.

I have just done the following:

1. Turned Arlo Q+ power on, waited for amber LED to go out, confirmed Motion detection didn't work.

2. Disarmed & Armed in iPhone app, and moved in fron of camera.

3. Received Push Notification.

4. Did not receive Email Alert.

5. Recording in Cloud was only 20 secs instead of the selected 120secs.

6. Turned camera off again.

Thank you again for your help.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@George8888

Thank you for the info, I have passed this to the Dev team. I will provide an update as soon as possible. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you power on your Arlo Q so we can review some data for diagnostics?

Thank you

George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera is now powered on.  Thank you very much for your help.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you, I will let them know & provide another update as soon as possible!

Geekqualizer
Tutor
Tutor

I too have this problem (no motion or sound detected, the recording length has been an issue for many years.) on my Arlo Q plus POE.  The recording with this camera has been satisfactory for a long time as long as it is rebooted daily (The daily reboot was required after firmware a few years ago.)  Since the 10th at 4 am when it restarts, it has required me to disarm and then arm to get motion/audio to record.  The firmware seems to be 1.10.1.0_195_13971f9.  

George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your message Geekqualizer.  Everything worked for me just fine until about the start of Nov'21.

I power my camera off when at home and power on when we go out so would not have encountered your daily reboot requirement issue.

Hopefully Arlo will fix the issues soon. 

George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your assistance ShayneS, much appreciated.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@George8888

Please just make sure the cam is powered on while we investigate this.

Thank you

Geekqualizer
Tutor
Tutor

It is always on except for each night when it reboots for a minute or 2.    

George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, I'll leave it on until you confirm that you are finished with the investigation.  Thank you

jusstrai
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello all, I have an Arlo Q (VMC3040) with current firmware (1.10.1.0_195_13971f9).  I use my camera daily as I head off to work.  My last motion detection was on Nov. 9th 2021.  Things I have done to attempt to fix it are restart/reset the device, remove and reinstall, and disarm and rearm alarms.  My apartment does not get hot.  The camera still works as I can manually record, use the mic for communication, night vision works, and everything basically works.  Is the 7 day cloud storage not free anymore?  Is anyone else having an issue?  I hope there's a solution out there...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, the 7 day storage is still valid with the legacy cameras ( the Q being one ).

Mine still working fine.

Second, since the camera does function except motion, I would think it may be something to do with the Arming Mode.

Make a new custom mode for the Q and test... it may fix the issue.

If NG, then I would use REMOVE DEVICE on the camera and bring it back as new ( which will rebuild all the settings of the Q cam.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This is now a known issue, the Arlo development team is currently investigating this. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

jusstrai
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Tom, thanks for the reply and suggestions.  I do appreciate any probable solutions.  Unfortunately, neither has worked.  I also tried resetting the Q using the small deep button.  I am glad to know the 7 day cloud is still going for legacies.  But my problem seems to be a real mystery since the camera still works fine...

George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the update ShaneS, good to heat that Arlo are investigating the issue.

Do they need me to still keep my camera on?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

More than likely yes so they can actively diagnose at any given time in the process. 

Thank you!

Geekqualizer
Tutor
Tutor

OK.  I will leave it on (except for the nightly reboot)  I am putting it on a schedule to change the mode but so far that has been unsuccessful at bringing the recording back.  

Jenhemp
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have two ArloQ cameras and have always used the legacy 7 day free plan.

On 11.12.21 one stopped recording and to the library and on 11.17.21 the other one stopped.

Like you, everything else about the cameras work and I have tried all the suggested fixes.