Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Plus Q generates bursts of digital noise

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
W_dB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently installed an Arlo Q Plus. It is connected to my router via ethernet cable.

The first few weeks the device has been working without problems, but since about a week ago I have started to get frequent audio notifications that are triggered by loud bursts of what sounds like digital random noise, which is sometimes interupted by digital "sputter". I am 100% certain that the sound is generated either within the device itself or somewhere in the network. It is not an external real-life sound. The first time it happened (about a week ago), the issue lasted for an extended period of time (about an hour) before it stopped. After that, there have been multiple incidents with short bursts (lasting for a few seconds).

Any ideas whether this is a hardware issue or a network issue, and how to solve it?

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

first thing I would check would be the cable...usu easy.

digital burst noise is tought to track if not all the time... check for ground loops in system connections , try running the Q on a temp power adapter and wifi to eliminate the poe power supply

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
W_dB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try to run the unit on wifi for a while, to see if that makes a difference.

I am already running it on the external power supply, by the way.

W_dB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Running the device on wifi and external power supply has not solved the issue, unfortunately.

I'm starting to believe this is a hardware issue, especially because the video signal is fine and it doesn't seem to be a common problem (based on searching this forum).

Any other suggestions for things I can try before I take this up with my supplier?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

W_dB,

Could you post an example clip of this behavior to give us a better idea of what you're describing?

JamesC

W_dB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I'll try to post a wav clip. I tried this before, by the way, but it didn't work then. Is there a size limit to files?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You either need to host the file yourself and share the link or use the Share icon when viewing the video in the library and post the link here (that link will only last for 24 hours).

W_dB
Aspirant
Aspirant
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your sound clip works well.  It's obviously a hardware issue so swap at the store or open a case here and provide them with this clip or a similar video (a video would be better since it would be more obvious that it came from the camera).

W_dB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for confirming that this is very likely a hardware issue. I will first try to arrange a replacement with my supplier.

Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation