Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
jbfatx
Follower
Follower

the power adapter serves as the charger for the batteries.  I just need it to "hard wire" the cameras to a nearby power source.  How long is the power cord? is there an after market usb power adapter that has a longer line?  what would be the specs necessary for me to buy one online?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NETGEAR advises only the use of the Arlo Pro power adapter and power adapter cable to charge Arlo Pro batteries. For more information, see here: What power adapter can I use to charge my Arlo Pro batteries?

JamesC

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you pull out the battery, the camera will run on a regular usb adapter (5v ) with the proper usb plug... Apple line or similar put out enough current to run the camera ...it needs at least 1.5a at 5v . ( so like an ipad charger which does 2a )

Longest usb cable I know of is about 10 ft.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Kenliu84
Initiate
Initiate

I am also interested in powering these cameras via power adapter and not the rechargeable batteries. Considering they use a USB-type cable, would anyone by chance know the power "loss" rate in these USB cables? Considering that I expect to run these cables to a central location to power them up, I am worried that there will be degradation in the power sent to the cameras. The plan is to install 3-4 of these cameras on the exterior of my house, maybe even one at my detached garage. It just seems to be a pain to have an outlet and power adapter somewhat close to the camera. It seems I will most likely have to run these USB cables to my basement and have to install electrical outlets for these power adapters.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

I haven't actually done the test but hope to as soon some more test equipment that I ordered arrives.

Here is the theory though for the voltage drop from 5v at 1A on different length cables of different gauges 

28ga 10' = 3.7v
28ga 3' = 4.61v

24ga 10' = 4.49v
24ga 3' = 4.85v

Longer extension cables are often of the thinner gauge (higher number). For charging a phone it may be less of an issue as charging will just take longer. However actually running the camera may be an issue if the voltage drops too low. Note that the Pro actually charges at 9v but without the battery will run on 5v.

Kenliu84
Initiate
Initiate

Hi Streak2,

Thanks for the quick response.

So it seems my idea of running 15-20ft cables would not be enough juice to power the cameras. I think I found a company named monoprice.com that can supply thicker gauge cables but I don't think they would still be enough. I understand these cams were made to be wireless. However, I do not see myself changing out the batteries on 4 cameras, whenever they run out of juice. That's why I would rather hardwire them.

To the Arlo team, have you considered changing the power design of the Arlo Pro to support a more appropriate power hard wire? Considering it uses microUSB, I do not see how this will work properly for homeowners who want to mount these outside and up high - away from potential thieves?

Streak2
Master Master
Master

I think you could run into reliability issues with those long cable runs. If you already have the cameras its worth a try. If not then you will have to wait for someone to put this to the test.

You are essentially looking for the outdoor features of an Arlo Pro but with the Poe features of the Q plus?

If you are looking for a hardwired system then maybe the Arlo Pro is not the best fit for you?

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I bought a 6 foot aftermarket round black USB cable at Big Lots to take the place of the stock flat white one.

I needed to make sure that the Micro Plug fit in the connector hole in the camera.

Power adapter is in the garage attic

Wire runs through soffit to camera.

It works fine.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NETGEAR advises only the use of the Arlo Pro power adapter and power adapter cable to charge Arlo Pro batteries. For more information, see here: What power adapter can I use to charge my Arlo Pro batteries?

JamesC

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To charge yes. Because it needs the higher current, but refering back to the original question on this thread, if someone wanted to power all of their cameras (without any battery installed) the most economical way to do this would be to purchase an aftermarket power supply and USB cord for under $10.

Since Netgear does not supply an adapter and cord for purchase separately this is really the only option, unless someone wants to pay $50 and get another battery which they may or may not need.

JMorse
Initiate
Initiate

JamesC I think you are missing the point on this thread.  We are looking for a wired solution to the Arlo Pro cameras.  We know how to charge the batteries; some just don't want to be dependent on the batteries.  Is there an "Arlo Approved" suggested work-around for plugging the camera's in 24x7?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just use my suggestion above. I've been connected 24/7 for 2 years now.

I wouldn't get too caught up on anything that is "Arlo Approved". All that means to me is more $$$$$$$$$$$

JMorse
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks @DaveWoj and Agreed!

May I ask which power supply stuff did you buy and the specs?  I assume you had to buy power supply and cable separately...  

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Any 5V power supply will work (if you don't need a battery in it for any reason). I don't have mine plugged in outside though so you would need to have it in a weatherproof outlet box or run the cable throught he soffit if you have access to an indoor outlet. I have open soffits in my garage.

Any micro USB cable will work as long as the plastic plug is small enough to fit in the recessed area in the camera. I found one at big lots that worked.

Silicone or mastic tape around the connection to waterproof and as long as you aren't touching it or moving it, it should be fine.

Lduke32
Aspirant
Aspirant

James,

You are not understanding the issue. They don't care about charging the cameras batteries. They want to know how to hard wire permanent power to the camera. Netgear needs to provide a solution as replacing batteries every 4 months is a nuisance.

Regards,

Lduke32

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, you bought a battery-operated camera.  Recharging or replacing batteries is expected.  

Second, the OPTION to power via the USB port is already there.  The issue is weather sealing which can void your warranty.  You can take it upon yourself to jump through the hoops to do so but if you goof it's on you.  The upcoming outdoor power adapter can only  do so much - if the cable isn't long enough for your installation, then what will you do?  No one can provide a solution for all users.  Based on the comments here, the folks actually interested in using the cameras powered while outdoors is a small minority of users.  Perhaps that percentage would rise to some degree if the upcoming options were already available but it still seems to be small.

I'm perfectly happy to charge my batteries occasionally.  You're not. Life goes on.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

LDuke32........

When I purchased my original Arlo, I did some research on these forums a couple of months before I bought it.

I knew for a fact that I did NOT want to be changing batteries so I modified it to work on AC and constantly powered.

When the Pro cam out with the powered USB, I know that I wouldn't have to modify it and could simple plug it in with USB. Apparently, and I didn't know this until after purchasing, is that the USB connection was not designed to be used outdoors (weatherproof), which in my opinion was a pretty dumb oversite on the part of Netgear so now after the fact, they are planning on selling an outdoor adapter (apparently with a weatherproof connection).

I repeat, I never had any intention of usinh the battery. To me, it's a MAJOR hassle since I have it 13 feet up and you know as well as I do, that the batteries will die in the middle of Winter, and I'm not about to climb up on a ladder and change them.

These are things I thought of. However these are not things that MANY on here have thought about until they realize the MAJOR pain it is to change or charge the batteries depending on where the cameras are places outdoors.

I have personally had no major issues with the arlo, pro ar Q. They have worked pretty much flawlessly, but I would personally NEVER recommend using the system by battery.

With that being said, you can choose to run them outdoors either way you want to. If you choose battery, then be prepared for some inconvenience, and if by constant power, then you do have options to do that. You don't need to use the outdoor AC adapter like I have mentioned in previous posts.

As for voiding the weatherproof warranty. DON'T worry about it. If you don't tell Netgear, they won't know.. Plug it in, weatherproof it, and go enjoy your camera hassle free.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Of course, without the battery a power loss loses recordings. We've been advocating a UPS on the modem, router and base for years now but you also need one on each camera without a battery.
CLayshooter25
Tutor
Tutor

Anyone have an idea when the weatherproof power cable will be available?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

CLayshooter25,

Target availability for the outdoor power adapter is the mid-May. I will post more information if anything changes.

JamesC

Deed
Tutor
Tutor

There is an outdoor cable for Arlo Pro.  Its 20 feet long and available in Amazon.  Its Arlo Pro Weatherproof 20ft cable by Wasserstein.  its avaiable in black and white colors.  Its for $12.99 and you get $2 discount if you buy 2. I am ordering them after waiting for over 3 months for Arlo outdoor cable which never seems to get released.  You just need a get a usb adaptor to fix it to the cable. You can either use Arlo adaptor but if you dont have extras for each camera get such an adaptar from market.