Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ordered an Arlo Certified Refurbished Arlo Pro VMC4030-100NAR received a defective Arlo Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
undrtw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased two Arlo Certified Refurbished Arlo Pro cameras model VMC4030-100NAR from woot.com. One of the two cameras delivered was an Arlo Pro 2 model VMC4030P. The video from the Arlo Pro 2 has a really bad red tint. Aside from the fact that it is defective, I still would rather have the product I purchased.

Why is it so difficult to contact Arlo for support. So far I have wasted a few hours only to come up empty handed. I tried the support channels online and on the app without any help. It also says I am not eligible for live chat support which I believe is the only way to get an RMA. Netgear you have really let me down. If I can't get the situation resolved soon I will send both cameras back to Woot and be sure to find a company that is willing to stand by and support their product rather than hiding behind bots.

This has been the worst customer experience from a corporation I have ever experienced.

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@undrtw wrote:

I recently purchased two Arlo Certified Refurbished Arlo Pro cameras model VMC4030-100NAR from woot.com. One of the two cameras delivered was an Arlo Pro 2 model VMC4030P. The video from the Arlo Pro 2 has a really bad red tint. Aside from the fact that it is defective, I still would rather have the product I purchased.

Are you certain the camera was refurbished by Arlo?  Woot's "factory refurbished" designation doesn't necessarily mean that.  It could have been refurbished by an Amazon partner.

You are better off contacting Woot.  Arlo can't resolve the issue with getting the wrong camera (though the Pro 2 is an upgrade over the Pro) - that is on the seller (Woot).  And I think the warranty situation is a bit complicated - it's not clear with refurbished products who is providing the warranty.  Woot/Amazon should be able to tell you that.

@undrtw wrote:

The video from the Arlo Pro 2 has a really bad red tint.

That is generally a stuck nightvision IR filter.  Shaking the camera might free it up (some also have used a magnet to get it to move).  But there is no assurance that will work (or that the problem won't recur).

undrtw
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo box says "Arlo Certified Refurbished" and it was advertised as such on Woot. I do have an RMA to return the camera to Woot but they do not have replacements. I find it sad that it seems impossible to talk to a real person to resolve this with the manufacturer.

I have already read that it is likely a stuck IR filter which seems to be a common issue. I would rather have the older model that I paid for with longer battery life. I don't need the upgrade.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@undrtw wrote:

I do have an RMA to return the camera to Woot but they do not have replacements.

Possibly Arlo doesn't either.  

@undrtw wrote:

I would rather have the older model that I paid for with longer battery life.

Your choice of course - but it is really Woot's issue to fix, since they decided to deliver you the Pro 2 when you ordered the Pro.  My guess is they gave you the Pro 2 because they ran out of Pro inventory. 

FWIW, I have both models in service, and haven't noticed any difference in battery life.  At least one old review says they also got the same battery life when they tested it. Though it's not something I track very carefully. 

undrtw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not sure how it is Woot's fault when it came in a sealed Arlo Pro box, not an Arlo Pro 2 box. I guessing Woot is not the one that packaged it. Apparently "Arlo Certified Refurbished" is pretty meaningless.

The customer service available from Arlo is a complete joke.

Is the only way to get the Pro 2 repaired under warranty to sign up for Arlo Secure?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@undrtw wrote:

Is the only way to get the Pro 2 repaired under warranty to sign up for Arlo Secure?

You should be able to get a warranty exchange w/o that.  But you'll need help in reaching support.  @JamesC or @ShayneS should be able to assist.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I recommend that you continue working with the original place of purchase to correct this issue. If you were to start a warranty claim through Arlo Support, the exchange would be for the same model camera (in this case, the Arlo Pro 2 camera would be exchanged for another Arlo Pro 2 camera). If you were supposed to receive a Pro camera through your original order, but you were sent the wrong model, the original place of purchase should exchange for the correct model.

JamesC