Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

In search of replacement power cord for ARLO VMA4600 solar panel

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
daddio1948
Aspirant
Aspirant

In search of any alternative (i.e. close enough) replacement power cable for the Arlo VMA4600 solar panel.

Micro-USB to Micro-USB, I don't know (yet) if the USB cables rated for 'OTG' are pin compatible.

The proprietary 'cable lock' at the solar panel end is not a requirment for my application.

Cable length of 2ft (60cm) to 6ft (2m) is good.

Any recomendations?

Is there any other third party solar panels designed for the Arlo Pro camera? I have a limited return window with Best Buy and if there is another viable solar option that uses a generic power cable I would seriously consider it.

My opinion: Netgear/Arlo should be aware by now (Aug 2018) that this power cable should be considered a consumable item. Some people will want shorter cables, other people will need longer cables. Some cables will get damaged during installation, others will fail from exposure to the elements. Plus some will fail just due to poor quality. Seems short-sighted for Netgear/Arlo to generate poor customer relations when an inexpensive, but proprietary, cable needs replacment.

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

daddio1948,

If your power cable for your solar panel is no longer working, I recommend contacting the Arlo Support Team for potential warranty replacement. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

daddio1948
Aspirant
Aspirant

My problem is that the cable provided with the VMA4600 solar panel is too short to allow me to place the solar cell in full sunlight and still reach my camera, and I'm not seeing any solution offered by ARLO for a cable extension or a longer cable.

The provided cable has only two wires (Vcc@pin-1 and GND@pin-5) so it seems possible that I could splice together what I need. Not a very elegant solution. Getting a cable of adequate length should not be so difficult.

jimhartigan
Aspirant
Aspirant

So what happened dadio? Did you splice and will that work?

daddio1948
Aspirant
Aspirant

I returned it while I could.

Not happy about the situation.

JenniferG
Guide
Guide
I have 2 Arlo q cameras that now have no power cord because they were both damaged...would like to buy these separately..
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Most USB cables will work fine. There can be an issue with the size of the plastic surround for the camera end with some cables being a bit larger than others. There's nothing unique about the cables.