Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
USN_MAC
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cannot get geofencing to work on my or my wife's iPhone 7.  The system stays armed all of the time. My phone is the main account and hers is setup as an add-on.  I have already tried the suggestions on the forum about removing the devices, saving, and then re-adding them.  I have reset the base station, restarted the apps, and nothing will work.  Both phones are set to always on for location, and in iPhone setting under the app I have background app refresh on as well as location in/out notifications on. I have also increased the radius of the fence but that didn't help.

It is annoying to have paid $500 for a system and constantly getting notifications when either my wife or I am home. If there wasn't a geofencing option then I would just arm and disarm it, but since there is the option, I expect it to work. 

11 REPLIES 11
Matchpoint
Apprentice
Apprentice

In the Geofencing mode, you have to setup the Away Mode and Home Mode. In my case I have created an Outside Scheduled mode when I'm away that is setup in the Away Mode. For the Home mode I have created another Schedule that activates only the cameras I want when I am (or someone in my family that has been setup) at home. These settings automatically kick-in but you have to understand how they work.

USN_MAC
Aspirant
Aspirant
No, you shouldn't have to set up the home and away in geofencing like that. I have it to be armed in away and disarmed in home. If my phone or my wife's phone is home it should be off and if they are both away it should be armed. Simple as that. The geofencing apparently doesn't work with multiple phones.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius.

How does the first in, last out principal work with geofencing mode for my Arlo cameras?

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

When using multiple devices, the secondary devices should be logged into the app via shared account through the "Grant Access" feature so that both devices are logged in using the mobile app. Take a look at this article for more information: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back on and save.

JamesC

Matchpoint
Apprentice
Apprentice

USN_MAC, geofencing works with multiple phones, I have it working on 4 phones. I do not know why you said that I do not have to setup geofencing the way I did, you said you have it armed in away mode and disarmed in home mode, so just because you're home you don't want your outside cameras activated? That's weird, someone could be stealing your car in front of your house and you're home sleeping and you don't have any idea. I also have mine scheduled so during night time my inside the house camera is activated at night, these all happening automatically, if you know how to program it.

USN_MAC
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm not here to get into a pissing match about individual settings. My point is, my system always shows both phones as unavailable and it will never disarm when either or both phones are at home. I simply want the system to recognize my phones are home and "in zone" so the system will work. I have disabled both phones, reset the app on both phones, even deleted and reinstalled but nothing works. Once I can get the system to recognize the location of my phones then I can tweak what times it arms, etc, but until then I have to keep arming and disarming manually. I could have done this with a system that cost much less.
USN_MAC
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've already tried all of that as stated previously. It doesn't recognize my phones and always shows them as available.
USN_MAC
Aspirant
Aspirant
Correction, it shows my phones as unavailable.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you see this behavior when connected to WiFi or mobile data? Is there any difference depending on which you are connected to?

JamesC

USN_MAC
Aspirant
Aspirant

It happens on both wifi or cellular.  On the app when I go into Mode - My Device - Geofencing - edit - enabled devices - it lists my phone and my wife's.  Both are checked green and have the small delta next to them that is grayed out.  On the right side mine will either be "in zone" or "out of zone" for about one second (as soon as this screens opens) and then it says "Unavailable."  My wife's phone always says "Unavailable."

I have reset my base station, even unplugged it for a reset.  All of the location services in the iphone are set to always, etc...  I have no issues with my phone finding my location in any other app, even in the Arlo app on the geofencing screen.  It shows my location and I have set my address as the home.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

A buggy Arlo App or iOS that's recently updated might be a culprit... I'm on iOS 10.3 on my iPhone and it seems the Arlo App is less buggy than running it on iOS 11 but still there's bug floating around this App that needs attention.. Who knows when it will be fixed? 

jw1000
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue, except with the Arlo Q.  Geofencing seems to work on one phone, but not on two phones on a last out, first in basis as advertised.

I tried all the resets, setting configurations on the iphones, etc.   I called support and was advised that this was a "known issue" with date of resolution unknown.   Don't know where that leaves me.