Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cameras stop recording

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
JBurke72
Guide
Guide
Several of my cameras have stopped recording. They are all up to date and I haven’t made any settings changes. I have contacted support 3 times and have reset the entire system 2 times. Same thing happens after about an hour of them getting reset. The last time I contacted support they said this was not a known problem yet there are many posts in the community describing the same exact issue. I have 2 case numbers both assigned as I was logged into my app and used the chat to contact support, but there are no cases when I go to my support history.

Arlo knows this is a problem and won’t do anything about it. I was moved from tech support to Ecommerce support yesterday and when I asked to speak to a manager or executive the agent ended my chat. This product has gone from a good product I would recommend to absolute garbage. After spending hundreds or maybe $1k on cameras and subscriptions I feel forced to trash these things and go buy a ring system.

Arlo please help!!!!!
16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds mostly like a signal strength and/or quality issue. What happens if you bring a camera closer to your base? Does it always work then? If so, try moving your base away from your router and look for other wireless devices nearby that could be interfering with the signal.

JBurke72
Guide
Guide
Sorry has nothing to do with my wifi signal or interference. The base station or the camera is no where near the router or other wireless devices. Further the cameras are all still communicating with my app and I can connect to them at any time and see live video. They simply fail to turn on when triggered and record a video.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Do you have the cameras externally powered, if so remove the power to the cameras to see if they start motion detection.

Edit:
If detection was working but no video are recording to the cloud library, check the subscription plan if you have one has not expired.
JBurke72
Guide
Guide

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.  They are not, they are battery powered.  But it is one thing I told support which they never responded to.  I changed batteries to a different brand of rechargeable batteries.  It is the only change I made to the set up during while this has occurred.  I suppose I could buy some new batteries and test that.  Do you think that could cause the issue?  Thanks again! 

Dannybear
Master
Master
If you kept the old batteries you could reinstall them to prove this but as you don’t have a battery warning so unlikely a cause.
You can reset the pro2 cameras by removing the batteries for ten seconds and reinstall.
Depends if you’re getting notifications of motion detection, have you?
JBurke72
Guide
Guide
After I reset the base station it detects records and alerts me. But soon after, maybe an hour or 2 it stops recording. I have a floodlight that is more modern than my other cams and that never fails.

How can I tell what version of cameras my original card are? I think I got them at Sams club.

Thanks so much. You’re more help than Arlo!
Dannybear
Master
Master
If you’re using a USB backup device on the base station, try removing it, ejecting first from the app then power cycle the base station again to see if this will make it continue to keep recording.
Edit:
https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/How-do-you-determine-if-you-have-Arlo-Pro-or-Arlo-Pro-2-cam...
Tlv
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 4 cameras.  The 2 that are the ULTRA model suddenly stopped recording. I have made no changes to settings or modes and don’t have problems with my other older Arlo cameras. I have removed and resynced but they only allow me to view LIVE video and the record tab isn’t checked (won’t allow me to check) so I can’t record

Tlv
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did you get a fix for this?

Dannybear
Master
Master
@Tlv,

The Ultra cameras require a subscription to be able to record to the arlo cloud library.
The cameras pro2 or earlier came with the 7days free cloud storage feature.
Camera models after that (2018) require a paid subscription plan although arlo used a free trial period to get you started.
Tlv
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. That’s unfortunate because it was one of the main reasons I bought two more Arlo cameras. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
Yes, many have been caught out by the small ambiguous writing on the box.

You do have an option to record locally to the base station backup USB on the 4000 and 4500 base stations and the 4540 and 5000 units enable app access to local storage for viewing with limitations of course.
JBurke72
Guide
Guide

No I never got this fixed.  I still have to reset the base station regularly to get the recordings to work again.  But that doesn't last long.  I'll never buy Arlo cameras again.  I'm moving in with my Fiancée soon and will add on to her Ring Doorbell with other Ring products. I know technology changes, and with it support for older products goes away, but these cameras are not very old.  And for Arlo to pretend like this isn't a common issue is disappointing.  

mbradywa
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have five cameras that are all still communicating with the Arlo Secure app. I can connect to them at any time and see live video. They simply fail to turn on when triggered and record a video. We have contacted customer service and we can't get a response. What happens if I do a factory reset on this system? It certainly can't get any worse than what we have right now which is nothing. We pay the $9.99 fee each month also. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

@mbradywa 

Can you confirm that you are able to manually record to the cloud library when you live view a camera and if so is the camera armed for the mode setting.

If you have a subscription you can access personal support from the app settings page. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, check Settings, Subscription, Manage Cameras to ensure that all cameras are enabled in your subscription.