Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
In2Caps
Follower
Follower

So, I'm sure a lot of us are here for the same reason. Frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a way to get support for it after the ominous EOL message. I have four Arlo Pro cameras. Bought at different times, but I first bought the first one with the base station in late 2018. I love them for my purposes. I have them mounted in different places to keep an eye on my yard. Not really my yard as much as the various animals in them. I have ducks, feed feral cats, and a possum. When I travel, they are critical for me. I have one that keeps an eye on the feral cat feeding station. One that is inside the duck run and is used in part to make sure after they are locked in their house at night, no predators can get in. Two more for just general keeping an eye on the ducks and dogs during the day.

I've never subscribed to cloud storage. The 7 days free was fine. I check my camera recordings every day, save or share what I need to, let the rest expire after seven days.

These cameras have been BEASTS. Reliable, weather proof, movable, etc. I've had no problems at all with them (or the base station) other than the very rare replacement battery. I'm going to use them until I no longer can. The only EOL problem is getting rid of the 7 days free storage. These are useless to be if I have to be awake at 4 a.m. to see a fox trying to dig under my duck run fence. I'm willing to suck it up and subscribe to get the 30 days, but is that all I need to do? Will I then be able to access my recordings for 30 days instead of the 7 now? 

Unfortunately, I can't actually ASK Arlo this question because it seems you have to already have a subscription to ask that question. 

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@In2Caps wrote:

I'm willing to suck it up and subscribe to get the 30 days, but is that all I need to do? Will I then be able to access my recordings for 30 days instead of the 7 now? 

The EOL knowledge base article says yes, but with a disclaimer (underlined).

Can I still use my EOL device?
EOL devices may continue to be operated by the existing registered Arlo owners to livestream video from the camera, receive motion notifications on their smartphone, and store video clips locally with a compatible Arlo SmartHub or Base Station.

EOL devices can utilize Arlo’s new cloud video storage platform, which is available with the Arlo Secure subscription service. However, some features may not be available on EOL devices since these devices no longer receive software or firmware updates and are no longer supported.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@StephenB 

I don’t have confidence that the motion triggered recordings will be be made available in the arlo cloud library if using the arlo secure subscription plan on my EOL equipment.

The way I read the documents it only refers to manual recordings not the triggered recordings.

The arlo secure link points to a signup page that makes no reference to EOL equipment.

Do you have any other reference material for EOL equipment that guarantees arlo cloud triggered recordings would continue post EOL date? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

Do you have any other reference material for EOL equipment that guarantees arlo cloud triggered recordings would continue post EOL date? 

The special offer letter I received begins as follows:

We sent out an email on January 1, 2023 regarding Arlo’s end of life (“EOL”) policy, which referenced that the Arlo Pro (VMC4030) and Generation 3 (VMC3030) cameras and specific cloud services will be EOL on April 1, 2023.

While it is true that on April 1, 2023 these camera models and some services will EOL, your hardware and current subscription will continue to function as before. You will not see any immediate changes upon this EOL date, as your devices are already activated under your Arlo Secure subscription plan, which includes 30 days of cloud storage.

However, due to the age of these legacy devices, items like spare parts, ongoing firmware changes, repair services and exact replacements will no longer be available. As technology advances, transitions like this are inevitable, but we understand the frustration this can bring.

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary

how did you actually get a properly written reply from them? I submitted a support request several days ago, they just keep copy pasting the same unrelated broken-english knowledge-base garbage every time.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@StephenB 

Thankyou for sharing the information, I will look forward to the same consideration when my cameras are nearing EOL.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MotoRider42HC wrote:

how did you actually get a properly written reply from them? I submitted a support request several days ago, they just keep copy pasting the same unrelated broken-english knowledge-base garbage every time.

They emailed me the special offer - I didn't ask for any support.

It looks like the email text is tailored - in my case, referencing my existing subscription.  I suspect folks with VMC3030 or VMC4030 (Pro) cameras might be getting offers first, since their cameras EOL before the rest.  But that's just a guess on my part.

Geography might also matter, since European subscriptions are different (and the Verisure relationship might also factor in somehow).  I am in the US.