Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
mattyryu
Tutor
Tutor
Hello there-

I recently swapped out five Pro 3 cameras with five Pro 5S cameras in the same exact locations that the Pro 3 cameras ran in for a few years. As soon as I made the switch, but the battery on the Pro 5S cameras last about a week.

My settings for these cameras include Night Vision set to Black & White with the Light Settings/Spotlight set to off (I do not want to run with the spotlight on). I believe this is the problem: when I went out to look at them at night, I could see night vision clicking on and off constantly while I was detected. This causes a "flashing" in the videos which slowly degrade to blackness and then stop. These same areas worked fine with the Pro 3 models.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Again, this is happening on all five of the Pro 5S cameras, where previously the Pro 3s in that same location worked as expected.

Thanks,
-Matt

Firmware 1.040.27.10_105_2477521
Hardware H5
Cameras connected to SmartHub VMB4540r2
Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

13 REPLIES 13
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @mattyryu Thank you for the feedback with your Pro 5s devices. Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to the Profile icon > Support Center > Select device > contact

Caspien
Aspirant
Aspirant

Been having the same issue, here, in the last month or so.

It's gotten so bad, that as it flashes on and off, it triggers cameras on the other side of the house, too.

Only seems to be the 5S, nothing else.

Gamer71
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issues with my 5S series. Only had them about 3 weeks but keep trying to adjust them for the light creeping in near them but don’t think it’s enough to warrant not triggering night vision because it will flash and do this once triggered as well. My pro 4 and ultra 2s are fine and never have this issue. Arlo, please look into this. I also have a Google nest cam on the same side of the house about 30ft to the left capturing a different angle and it doesn’t have this problem..

chargers
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here with the flashing on and off when trying to run night vision only, just replaced my Arlo Pros with the Arlo Pro 5S ones due to EOL.  My old original Pros worked so much better than these. Battery drain is horrible, die in 3 days with little activity on them.  In trying to troubleshoot the battery drain issue, I switched to night vision only, which is how I found this additional issue with them.

mattyryu
Tutor
Tutor

Update:  Since I posted this I've worked with Arlo support for a few weeks and did an RMA on one of the cameras.  Unfortunately, it has the same exact issue as the previous Pro 5S.

Most of my cameras have the H5 hardware and last 3-5 nights doing the IR flashing before the battery is dead.  I have one that has hardware version VMC4060AerH5 which only lasts 1-2 nights.

At this point I assume that the Pro 5S cameras just have bad revision of IR hardware or the software settings have an issue with the hardware.  

I'm not sure that there is any resolution to this.  For now I'm going to use the new batteries in my Pro 3 cameras.

Wade_Huang
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi everyone,I also faced the same issue here, any advice?thanks.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Pro5s
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem here.

Brand new Pro 5S. Flashing IR during motion. 2 x IR lights visibly lit up on front of camera flashing.

Firmware 1.040.27.10_105_2477521
Hardware H5
Camera connected to 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi.
Tboch
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any solutions yet?

chadxz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also trying to figure this out on one of my cameras. Tried cutting back some nearby shrubs but that didn’t help. Not sure what else to try.

CL73
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just got 2 of these as a gift on the 20th and the same thing is happening. I took one back already and exchanged it yesterday. So far that one is working ok but the other one is now doing the same thing. Very disappointed with these so far. I had Arlo Pro originals and had no issues. 

mattyryu
Tutor
Tutor

@CL73 return them while you can.

I've been working with support on this, but there is still no resolution at this time.

CL73
Aspirant
Aspirant

So they are out of stock so I have to wait to return/exchange. What I did try in the meantime was reboot my smart hub. Unplugged it for a few minutes and then started it back up. So far the camera has been working fine as of tonight even while motion ..animals etc it’s not blinking anymore. I’ll keep you posted.