Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
copperslaterev1
Aspirant
Aspirant
  1.  We are considering upgrading to the Arlo 5S from our current Arlo Pro system because their LEDs have failed after about 3 years of use.
    1. Is the 5S is a better, longer lasting camera overall?
    2. Is there an add-on IR Light or flood light available?
    3. Will the IR LEDs on the 5S last longer? 
    4. Will the IR LEDs provide more IR light than the Pro?
    5. Are the IR LEDs on either camera model replaceable?
    6. Is there a location within Arlo where replacement IR circuit boards or any of the circuit boards  are available for purchase?   
10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@copperslaterev1 wrote:

Is the 5S is a better, longer lasting camera overall?

It's brand new, so there is no way to answer the "longer lasting" part.  My experience with it so far is very positive.  Mine works well, and the battery life is considerably better than other Arlo cameras with standard battery sizes.

It's a 2K camera, which most would say is better than a 720p model.

@copperslaterev1 wrote:
Is there an add-on IR Light or flood light available?

No, but it would be a good accessory.  There are third-party ones as I mentioned in my reply on your other thread.

@copperslaterev1 wrote:
  1.  We are considering upgrading to the Arlo 5S from our current Arlo Pro system because their LEDs have failed after about 3 years of use.
    1. Will the IR LEDs on the 5S last longer? 
    2. Will the IR LEDs provide more IR light than the Pro?
    3. Are the IR LEDs on either camera model replaceable?

I don't think the IR LEDS provide more light, and there is no way to tell how long they will last on a brand new model.  IR LEDS are not replaceable, and Arlo does not sell replacement IR boards.

I haven't seen this issue with my own Arlo Pro (I only have one in service), but I guess it is possible that the IR has dimmed since I put into service years ago.

copperslaterev1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for this reply also.  I will update the post when i finally make a decision.  

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is the message about requiring a firmware upgrade to all your cameras etc. and that it can not be reveresed

and will not work with some products. Where can I get specific details about this? I have a split of Arlo Pro4s and

Arlo Go2s. I was going to try on of these Arlo Pro5s to see just how much better the battery was. However when got

thos warning it looked like it had a high possibility of screwing up my whole system. Also, does it change you to some new type of subscription? I do not understand why it would require an upgrade of firmware on ALL my cameras

because I am adding one new Pro5.

Thanks, Larry

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The message is simply that certain older equipment that is no longer supported will not work with the new user interface. Your hardware will continue to work as before, especially since it's older legacy hardware such as the security lights that have no camera installed that won't work.

Just offhand, I can't find something that dictates what hardware is not supported by the new UI (wrong search terms?) but I believe it's only the security lights that would be affected since folks are successfully using the other EOLed devices. @JamesC or @ShayneS ?

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't think that is the case. It completely changes the system. For example you can no longer setup custom modes. And it looks like instead of using a library it uses some type of feed. You only have 3 modes instead I believe 14 now. I was able to find that it does not support the Security Light, Security light Bridge and the Arlo Go cameras. However these other changes to all the cameras is 'not something I will elect to do.

I had ordered a Pro5S camera because I had heard they had better battery life. However it requires you to do the upgrade so I will just return it. I have a number of Pro4 and Arlo Go2 cameras, so I will just stick with them.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lwthomas1 wrote:

I don't think that is the case. It completely changes the system.

The experience is certainly different (fwiw, both @jguerdat and I have migrated to it).  The lack of custom modes is a minus, though of course not a lot of people don't need that feature.  If you outline your usage in more detail we could help sort out how well it would work with "Feed".

Neither of us have the older Go cameras, so we can't confirm whether those will be supported with "Feed" or not.  "Feed" does work with the Go 2 though.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stephen,

Lack of custom mode is one issue for me. However, can you explain the "feed" mode in more detail vs having the

library.

Also, somewhere  there is some confusion on the Arlo Go. I maybe mentioned them somewhere incorrectly. I regionally did have the Arlo Go cameras, but have since migrated my cellular cameras to the Go 2 so they aren't impacted that I can see. My other cameras are all Pro 4s.  

Normally when they provide a major update they provide some sort of larger benefit. I contacted Arlo and talked to someone who talked for bit and never really gave me any major benefits.

In any case, if you could maybe explain the differences in the feed vs library differences and functions I would appreciate it.

I have 12 cameras (5 cellular) that are working fine so I am not likely to take on a major upgrade that does not

have significant benefits. I was just a bit suprised that JUST to install the 5s you had to convert your entire network.

Thanks, Larry

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lwthomas1 wrote:

However, can you explain the "feed" mode in more detail vs having the library.

I contacted Arlo and talked to someone who talked for bit and never really gave me any major benefits.

I don't work for Arlo.  I do think that modes were somewhat broken in "Library", and that having location-wide modes (independent of base stations) is a cleaner approach.  But the limitation of 3 modes is a big negative for a lot of people.  The new Automations are interesting, but I think they will be rather hard to troubleshoot.

The best way to explore the differences is to look through the knowledge base articles.  For example, this one is for "Library", but has a link to click on for "Feed"

At some point you will not have a choice - Arlo won't keep both user interfaces around forever.  They will eventually migrate everyone to "Feed".  This is obviously going slower than they anticipated, presumably due to the feedback they've gotten on "Feed" so far.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. I will go on the last bus once all the bugs are chased out. The fact they want you to do a complete upgrade with NO BACKOUT plan is just not acceptable. We aren't using these cameras for a hobby, so the potential for disrupting our whole system with no blackout plan just doesn't work. I will see where it goes.

I did try setting up a new account with some of my older Arlo Pro2s but it did not seem to get the new interface, probably because it wasn't on a paid Arlo secure account. So there is no way to actually test it. Without a blackout option that isn't acceptable.

Thanks for all the information. I gave them my feedback on the lack of a blackout option.

Larry

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lwthomas1 wrote:

I did try setting up a new account with some of my older Arlo Pro2s but it did not seem to get the new interface, probably because it wasn't on a paid Arlo secure account.

If you still have that set up, then try adding a Pro 5s camera.  While that obviously won't work, the process will migrate the test account to feed.