Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have two Pro 5 cameras that are connected directly to wifi and they both say need to update the firmware but when you click on “ update firmware” nothing happens.  The firmware doesn’t update and it still shows that I need to update the firmware.  My other pro 5 cameras that are connected to the base station do not have this issue.  
has anyone had this issue today and how did you resolve it?

69 REPLIES 69
Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Deemamail

The issue with the pro 5 cameras pertained to cameras that were directly connected to wifi and updated to the firmware state above.  The firmware your camera is trying to update to is the firmware for the pro 5’s connected to the base station.  So maybe you need to do a restart of your base station.  You can do a restart of the base station through the app.  

Deemarmail
Guide
Guide

Hi, I don't actually have a base station; both my cameras connect direct to wifi.

How do I get it to update to the wifi only firmware?

When I go into Devices>my camera>Device info, it displays the following as the available firmware, with no other options:

Version 1.040.27.5_55_b4f750a

Release date June 9, 2023

Note

VMC4060 camera 1.040.27.5_55_b4f750a

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

You are going to need to talk to technical support…

I saw this in this community forum….not sure why your camera won’t update.  
So look to JamesC to help you

Arlohelp2_0-1686842417755.png

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

That’s the most recent version so your good!

Deemarmail
Guide
Guide

Except I'm not good because that's the version that it keeps failing to update to. 

After over 40 restarts, removing and re-adding my device, I don't have much choice but to return these cameras. Have wasted enough time on what should be a simple "click here to update firmware" process 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Deemarmail,

Try charging the camera, bring it close to your router, restart it from the mobile app by navigating to Settings > locations and plans > devices > Pro5 > Restart

Allow the camera to come back online after the restart and then attempt to initiate the firmware update.

Do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

Deemarmail
Guide
Guide

Still the same behaviour; light flashes blue and orange for some time, eventually comes back online and shows the red exclamation mark in the app, song that a firmware update is available.

Pretty much done with this. This should be a simple (or even automatic) process, but here I am several days later, tens of hours worth of restart, re-adding devices, and retrying the firmware upgrade with no progress whatsoever.

So angry and frustrated and disappointed by this. Especially when it was working fine before this new firmware dropped

Deemarmail
Guide
Guide

Update for anyone interested; I actually went to return my Pro 5 cameras to JB hi-fi, but they convinced me that having one dodgy camera out of two wasn't actually that rare, and to try again with a new pair (but to bring them in for a refund if still no luck).

So, new pair of cameras added, mostly smoothly, firmware update took a few tries, but worked and cameras are functioning as expected now.

Thanks all for trying to help and listening to my whining. Suspect it was dodgy hardware on one of my cameras..?

jfencl
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Deemarmail wrote:

Suspect it was dodgy hardware on one of my cameras..?

I had a similar experience with my Pro 5 3-pack.  One camera absolutely would not connect at all to wifi but would to the base station (which I'm going to get rid of).  They finally RMA'd that camera and the replacement didn't work either (different issues).  After several months of back-and-forth with support they RMA'd that one as well.

I'm still having issues and support has pretty much given up at this point so I feel your pain.  I had a bad experience with this firmware update as well.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jfencl,

In addition to the troubleshooting posted above, if you also log out of the Arlo Secure mobile app and then log back in, do you still experience an issue complete the firmware update?

JamesC

MA_GA
Star
Star

I’ve done everything suggested and am still having the issues described above.  

It is illogical that cameras stop working when a firmware update is available.  They should continue to work on current firmware and the upgrade should be something we can initiate at a convenient time.  Instead, the cameras are not functional.  This is really bad when cameras are at a remote site and not easily accessed.   Please get this resolved and rethink how firmware updates are delivered.   Thanks. 

MA_GA
Star
Star

When I exit the app and log back in, I see the camera image momentarily and then they go black with the red ! message.   

MA_GA
Star
Star

Two of my cameras have received the “e6ca6b3a” (the last character is new) firmware and it seems to have worked.  The other two are still trying to load “e6ca6b3“ and it fails.  

MA_GA
Star
Star

IMG_8986.jpeg

Correction, the new firmware is in the picture attached. Toggling the device often on did not forget to pick up the new firmware, but clicking on the device name at the top of the app, and then clicking, the red restart button seems to have forced the firmware download.

JohnMace
Initiate
Initiate

Hello. I am having the same problem updating the firmware on Pro 5 camera. I have spoken with a tech support person (case number 43530724) who did not suggest Restarting the camera, but that solution has not worked for me. The tech support person did tell me that I could not update the firmware because I had three cameras on my network and my upload speed was not sufficient for the update. I do not understand why the number of devices is relevant since only one needs an update, and I do not understand why the upload speed makes a difference. I would think that the download speed might be an issue, but even that's not clear to me. If someone could explain why the number of cameras and the upload speed are preventing me from updating the firmware, I'd appreciate it.

The camera worked just fine for a month before this issue. At the moment, I'm unable to view the live shot in order  to line it up properly. The existing firmware has allowed that, and I'd like to regain that functionality. 

Thanks for your time.

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

JohnMace

It took me a couple of tries to get it to work.  Do the restart on each individual camera and wait a little while for it to boot back online then do the firmware update.  The firmware update take a little time to update.  If your cameras are connected to a base station then restart your base station.  You may try bringing your camera close to your router during the restart and firmware update and see if that helps…
if it doesn’t work then you may have an issue with your camera….

JohnMace
Initiate
Initiate

Well, son of a gun. A little persistence pays off. It does seem to have updated. I never did get any confirmation that the update completed: it just hung out saying that the update was "in progress " as it had a dozen times before. After 15 minutes or so, I closed that screen and then, lo and behold, I was able to see the live camera and wasn't nagged by the "update required" message.

Thanks for your response here, Mr. or Ms. Arlo-help2, I appreciate it.

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

JohnMace

Glad it finally worked for you.  I was the one who started this post for this issue and it was frustrating for sure until Arlo fixed the issue with the firmware and we were then able to update the firmware.

Now if I can figure out how to fix my Pro 5 that is connected to a solar panel not keeping my camera charged despite there being adequate sun.  My battery has actually down to zero and the camera went offline.  Then came back online when it started charging and now up to 7%.  It was working fine and keeping it charged to 100% up until a few days ago

Joseph17
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm here to pile on and whine too as mine has been screwed up for 3 days. I pop the battery out, it resets or something, works for maybe a minute to an hour then screws up again. WTF. I'm not sure if the firmware updated or not, although I tried several times when prompted. As others said, never got a confirmation that the update was complete.

Ughhh!!!!!

This  Arlo Pro 5 S is becoming a real PITA.

Now I'm stuck in limbo. getting a new message " Check to insure it is powered and within wireless coverage area". Are they freckin serious.?   What, I suddenly moved my camera and / or router?   Come on now! Of course the thing is powered up and within range.

And regarding firmware updates, why must we apply them? Leave well enough alone. With most tech, updates are at the end users option to install, or when. But with Arlo suddenly you're dead in the water unless you apply the update, then afterward who knows what mess you'll be in.

How can it be this bad? Goodness. 

Whizz48
Initiate
Initiate

Fast resolution? It took over a week to resolve. And while try to get a fix, I was continually told to do this, do that, none of which helped. Only one support staff actually admitted it was an Arlo problem. Numerous times they inferred the problem was the fault of my network. My request for a replacement or refund was ignored. Worst Tech service ever!