Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have two Pro 5 cameras that are connected directly to wifi and they both say need to update the firmware but when you click on “ update firmware” nothing happens.  The firmware doesn’t update and it still shows that I need to update the firmware.  My other pro 5 cameras that are connected to the base station do not have this issue.  
has anyone had this issue today and how did you resolve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The team has found and resolved the issue that resulted in the update failure. Firmware should now update successfully as long as the camera has good signal strength and battery life. You will need to restart the camera from within the Arlo Secure mobile app and then click update firmware on the camera widget after the device has finishing restarting.

Please try again and let us know if you continue experiencing the same issue.

JamesC

View solution in original post

69 REPLIES 69
Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

All 5 of my Arlo 5S cams have a message firmware update available.  When I go in and say ok to the update warning nothing happens.  I tried the web portal and it gives an error that update is invalid.  Thanks again Arlo.  Just keeps getting worse the longer I try to use your product.  😡

nscigliano
Initiate
Initiate

Having the same issue here.  My cams are require an update this morning and it does not work.

Willko76
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same issue 🙄

IMG_7268.jpeg

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried removing and reinstalling one of mine and during the setup process it goes right into the firmware update but never completes.  Just keeps going and going….  First time I let it go for 20 minutes.   It’s currently trying to setup again and doing the same thing so I wouldn’t bother removing a camera as that does not work either.  

Willko76
Tutor
Tutor

I tries everything I can think of, update from app, update from portal, restart device, remove and reinstall device etc.

Unfortunately none of it works

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Basically what I tried as well.  I messaged Arlo on FB messenger I’ll post here if I get a response.  

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same here started today on all 5 pro 5S cameras.  4 at my home and 1 at my camp on separate Arlo secure paid plans.  No response from support.  Nothing I have tried works.  When I tried to update via the web portal I get an invalid firmware error.

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes just started this morning.  The firmware my other pro 5’s show which are up to date show the firmware as:   1.040.27.4_48_e6ca6b3

This is what the two pro 5 cameras show as the current firmware needing updating

1.040.26.2_56_6649b4f.  But when you try to update nothing happens.  The firmware updates usually happen automatically…I’ve never had to update the firmware except when I’m setting up a new camera.  It’s like it is stuck and won’t update.  I find it weird that it is only my pro 5 cameras that are connected directly to wifi instead of the base station.

Arlo Technical support…..please let us know how to resolve this issue

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly what I am experiencing here.  Unfortunately I don’t have a hub anymore so all my cameras have been useless all day.   

mznthrope
Initiate
Initiate

I'm experiencing this exact issue--it started this morning on two of my three Pro 5s. Another identically configured 5 is fine. Same firmware versions; same behavior.

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Both of my pro 5 cameras that are like this have a option to “ restart” the Camera.  I’m not sure I want to try this remotely.  Has anyone tried to restart to try to resolve the issue?

Arlohelp2_0-1686587021565.png

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

To be sure your camera can successfully receive the update, please follow these steps:

1. Fully charge the battery

2. Bring the camera close to your base station/router

3. Initiate the firmware update via the Arlo Secure mobile app and watch the LED behavior on the camera. You should see an alternating blue/amber LED. If you do not see this LED behavior, attempt the update again through the app.

JamesC

user7653
Guide
Guide

I'm having the exact same issue on all my 5S cameras as of this AM.  I have tried updating through the app, the website, power cycling (removing the battery) nothing works. 

saying yes or no to the upgrade results in exactly the same result - nothing, and still stuck with the exclamation point and no live view. 

Come on Arlo, get this fixed. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently investigating repots of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information available to share.

JamesC

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

James

One of the camera s is about 10’ from the router and the 5’ from the extension wifi and both cameras are fully charged.  I’m not by the cameras so can’t see the light on the camera but just know nothing happens when I try to update the firmware.  All other pro 5 cameras updated the firmware automatically.  
Will doing a restart on the camera help with this firmware update issue?  I haven’t ever done a restart remotely and hesitant to do it without being by the camera.

Arlohelp2_0-1686588840571.jpeg

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for getting the development team involve to resolve this issue…..….please note that my pro 5 cameras that are connected to the base station updated the firmware automatically and have no problem…..it’s just the two pro 5 cameras that are connected directly to wifi/router that are have the issue of not being able to update the firmware

user7653
Guide
Guide

Good point - same issue here, none of my 5S's are using a hub (direct wifi with a very strong connection to all). 

They also seem to be working, recording and detecting motion, just no live view and that annoying exclamation point. 

lillebeorn
Tutor
Tutor

The exact thing is happening to me, and I'm glad I'm not the only one, just so it's not considered an "isolated incident".

I received 3 x brand new Arlo Pro 5S 2K cameras four days ago, last Thursday, June 8th 2023. I set them up and connected to wifi without any problems. I then mounted them, and they worked without any issues for three days straight, detecting people, animals and vehicles, and showing animated smart previews. I loved the new functionality, upgrading from Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

The last notification I received was yesterday (June 11th) at 3:22pm. I had some guests arriving around 4pm, and Arlo did not notify me. My guests said a package had been delivered and was sitting by my front door. I wondered why Arlo didn't go off, so I checked the app.

None of my three cameras showed any image, or ability to view a live feed. All three panels were dark, and in the center of the panel was a white circle-icon with a red border and red exclamation mark inside. It has remained like this since. When I tap the icon, it brings up a "notifications" page that shows a red triangle with an exclamation mark inside, and a label next to it reading "Firmware update is available", with an "Update" link below. When I tap the "Update" link, I get the message mentioned by OP: " The update process can take up to five minutes. Make sure your device is uninterrupted during the update process. Do you want to update your *Camera* to 1.040.27.4_48_e6ca6b3?" - Yes or No. When I tap Yes, it simply closes the prompt and returns to the main page, and the blank feed-panel with the icon remains.

So I called Arlo support (yesterday), and went through all the typical troubleshooting steps:

1) Put the camera right next to the router for strongest connection, restarted my router...

2) Checked the Internet speed (Fiber, 600Mbps download and upload).
3) Told them how many devices are connected to my router (18).
4) Tried to update the firmware for a camera manually through the app (same result).
5) Tried to update the firmware for a camera manually through the website on a laptop (same result).
6) Restarted the camera (same result).

7) etc...

None of these resolved the issue, so they escalated my ticket and said they'd call me back within 24-48 hours.

I did some further experimentation on my own after the support call:
1) I removed the cameras from the app.
2) I factory reset the cameras (by holding down the sync button for 10-15 seconds)

3) I added one camera as a new camera. The pairing process worked like a charm. But on one of the final panels, it read "checking for updates", and quickly progressed to a panel that read "Updating Firmware - The firmware on your Camera is currently updating. This could take up to 15 minutes".

-- After 20 minutes, the screen updated to read: "Firmware could not be updated. - The firmware on your Base Station has failed to update." "Base Station" ? I don't have a base station. This panel had two options "Try Again", and "Try Again Later". Since I did this multiple times, "Try Again" yields the same result after another 20 minutes, and "Try Again Later" brought me to the next step, where it shows a preview of the camera feed for positioning - this worked! I was able to see a live feed here! So I hit continue, and I get a message that says the camera has been successfully added. I can either "Add another device" or finish. I clicked finish, and it brought me back to the dashboard. I inspected devices, and the camera was there, but once again it was blacked out with the circle icon indicating a firmware update is available.

I did an inspection, and my current firmware for all three cameras is version 1.040.26.2_56_6649b4f
The firmware it's trying to upgrade to that is failing is 1.040.27.4_48_e6ca6b3

The odd thing is the release date of newest firmware is June 5th 2023, which was three days before I initially installed the new cameras, yet my cameras worked for three full days before this issue.

This has been a pretty lousy start to using a system I've heard people rave about. I'm hoping it's just a bug that they can patch up fairly quickly, or I'll need to consider switching to a different system, as the cameras are useless at this point. But all in all, I don't think any standard troubleshooting steps will help this problem, so I suggest anyone with this issue call in to support to increase the number of eyes on it and elevate its priority.

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly my experience today.  Just when you thought Arlo couldn’t get any worse.  I think those of us that would like to cut our losses should be able to get a prorated refund for Arlo secure.  Can’t waste more time on such an expensive system it should just work.

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looks like my camera at camp updated!  Maybe the issue is fixed?

user7653
Guide
Guide

They must have fixed the issue, I have 3 cameras updated (using the app, not going through all the dumb steps support suggested) and 6 more updating now. 

If you mount a camera somewhere using a ladder, how on earth does Arlo expect you to physically access the camera and reset, etc etc - that's never gonna happen. 

lillebeorn
Tutor
Tutor

The issue still persists for my cameras. How can you tell if they are updating? I just tried to tap the exclamation icon and then the "Update" link again, and I'm still getting kicked back to the previous page.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The team has found and resolved the issue that resulted in the update failure. Firmware should now update successfully as long as the camera has good signal strength and battery life. You will need to restart the camera from within the Arlo Secure mobile app and then click update firmware on the camera widget after the device has finishing restarting.

Please try again and let us know if you continue experiencing the same issue.

JamesC

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am still not able to update the firmware….nothing has changed for me.  I am getting motion and notifications and I can see the recordings on my feed.  I can live view because the camera shows the icon to update the firmware…