Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
58 REPLIES 58
dcdeforest
Star
Star

This seems to be a firmware issue, see the following ongoing thread:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-5S-2K/Arlo-Pro-5S-unreliable-junk-missing-events-taking-snaps...

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@dcdeforest correct, it does look firmware related. The thread you linked to is the same one you replied to? 

Arlo Support surely can do better here. They are showing contempt towards their user base who have these cameras that are not functioning in a fit for purpose manner. if they are working on a proper fix, great. But keep it moving. Send some communications out. Or at least roll out the field trial firmware more broadly. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

We are looking into this, I apologize for not updating the community. I do not have any new information at the moment. However, as soon as I do I will reach out. 

volosityga
Aspirant
Aspirant

What’s interesting is I have the essential xl camera and it is the only one giving me snapshots instead of video, and this just started a couple of week ago, I did a base station reset and it fixed it for a few hours but it is back to snapshots. I have no pro 5 cameras.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@chicane are you seeing this still on all your Pro 5 cameras or are there only certain ones?

@volosityga with the Essential camera if the camera is almost completely depleted it will go into low battery mode to preserve battery. When you were getting snapshots the battery was in critical low level. Please charge the camera and see if you see the same behavior. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN it was all of my Pro 5S cameras (on the latest public firmware) prior to the recent release of the field trial firmware to the others. Now they are detecting better. Although still occasional snapshots but not missing events as badly as before. 

Do you have any further update as to how the field trial firmware is going and any ETA for release to public? Or what is the rationale why it being held up from release when it is less-worse than what your customers have now? 

DudeNJmad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yep I'm having the same issue. Why detect motion and only capture a snapshot?  

This new software sux balls.  My pro 4 just stopped working and I regret letting them talk me into the 5S.  I'm going full PoE camera system next time.  I'll record my own footage and back it up to Azure storage.  F this company.  Ever call support?  Not one US based tech. 

azguy5050
Guide
Guide

See attached screenshots of support conversation.  Apparently if the support person decides he doesn't want to help anymore he just lets you sit there and ignore you.  See conversation from start to finish in the 5 screen shots attached.  Arlo buyers, beware.  When things go wrong support is MIA.Arlo1.jpgArlo2.jpgArlo3.jpgArlo4.jpgArlo5.jpg

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@azguy5050 I am sorry to hear that you did not receive good support when reaching out. That is not at all how we want our users to feel. In regards to the Pro 5 taking snapshots instead of recordings, we are aware of this behavior. We have the development team looking into this. I will reach out to you as soon as I have an update.