Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

cameras - connection wireless through local router vs with base station

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been trying to set up systems at my 2 houses, miles apart. I was told that I could set up a local wireless connection to 2 different routers.  In this process I was told that the Arlo Secure service would best serve me, using the 2 locations together.  One concern I have had is that I notice if I change something at one location it changes the setup at both locations.  I have 2 cameras (Pro 4) at each location.  I also have 1 inside Essential wired camera at 1 of my locations.  It now has been presented to me that a base station or a hub would be a better setup for varied reasons; local storage, linkage to camera light as well siren setup.  Any advice you have would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stcbalke wrote:

I have 2 locations (different cities) and I want at this time 1 camera at each location.  Right now they are under 1 service program (secure unlimited cameras) for $12.99.  It has been suggested that I have 2 separate service programs, 1 for each location.  I am told this would be $7.99 for each location....... correct? 

You do need subscriptions for each location.  Single camera subscriptions would be $7.99 each at current US prices. So this is correct.

You could save some money if you get the annual subscription, but I wouldn't recommend doing that until you get everything set up the way you want. 

That's because Arlo won't refund if you cancel.  Instead, the subscription continues until the start of the next billing period.  The amount you save with the annual payment is only about $0.50 per subscription per month, so IMO not very compelling.

@stcbalke wrote:

I also have a Essential mobile wired camera.  Can I use this at either location given the details I have provided.

Not sure what model you are talking about.  Do you mean the Go 2 camera (which connects to mobile/cellular data)?  Or something else?

As far as the single camera subscriptions go, I think there would be some friction if you want to move a camera from one location to another frequently.  I think you'd need to cancel the subscription at the starting location and then resubscribe at the new one.  I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC , @BrookeN , @ShayneS ), in hopes they will comment.  

With the unlimited plans, you could easily remove the camera from the subscription in one location and then add it to the other subscription. 

Another option that should work would be to set up a third "fake" location for the camera you want to move.  Then you'd have separate controls for that "location" for armed home and armed away. 

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@stcbalke 

You can create seperate locations in the app. You can find more information here:https://kb.arlo.com/000062778/What-are-Locations-in-the-Arlo-Secure-App-and-how-do-I-use-them

Note: you will need a subscription for each location to utilize some features. 

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I added a base hub to each location could I eliminate the monthly subscription cost. Would I gain any function?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stcbalke wrote:

If I added a base hub to each location could I eliminate the monthly subscription cost. Would I gain any function?

You'd need two smarthubs (either VMB4540 or VMB5000).

You'd lose activity zones and smart notifications.  Local storage has several drawbacks:

• Recordings only available from the app (not the browser)
  • Recordings only available from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • No thumbnails - videos need to be downloaded to the phone to view
  • Remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers).
stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

This should not be that complicated. If I understand this correctly, my best option is to have 2 subscriptions 1 at my 2 locations.  Seems like the hub/base is not a good value.  I just want to have 2 cameras at my 2 locations, and the ability to manage both sites from the app.  If I am missing something here, please correct me.  I wonder if there is a subscription that is less than $12.99 for each location..... seems overpriced.   Thanks for the assistance.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stcbalke wrote:

I just want to have 2 cameras at my 2 locations, and the ability to manage both sites from the app.  

I wonder if there is a subscription that is less than $12.99 for each location..... seems overpriced

If you mean one camera at each location, then you could get two single camera subscriptions at $4.99 each.  Or pay annually (costing about $50 each per year).

Note that Arlo doesn't refund if you were to cancel.  So that is one potential downside of the annual payments.

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks a ton, this has been great info.  So if I set up 2 locations each having 1 camera I would pay $4.99 for each location per month.   With this could I arm the 2 locations differently?  For example; if I am at the cabin but want to "Arm Away" the House, I could do that from the cabin.  I would want to have the ability to set different settings for each location.  thanks again, I appreciate this assistance

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stcbalke wrote:

With this could I arm the 2 locations differently?  For example; if I am at the cabin but want to "Arm Away" the House, I could do that from the cabin.  I would want to have the ability to set different settings for each location.  thanks again, I appreciate this assistance

Yes. You'd have the three modes for each location, and they would work independently.

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

One last question.  If I had  1 camera at each location it would cost me $4.99 per location.  If I had multiple devices at each location it would be $12.99 for each location.  What are the benefits and shortcomings of each scenario?  Thank you for all your recommendations.

Scott

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stcbalke wrote:

If I had  1 camera at each location it would cost me $4.99 per location.  If I had multiple devices at each location it would be $12.99 for each location.  What are the benefits and shortcomings of each scenario?  

There are three modes for each location, which control all the cameras in that  location. 

With one camera at each location, you end up individual control over each camera.  For example, one can be set to "home away", another can be set to "standby". If you set up only one location, then there aren't enough modes for all combinations of camera use.

Geofencing is per location, so that feature wouldn't be available to you if you have all cameras set up in one location.

Each location has its own timezone, so if the three locations are in different timezones, then you will need to mentally translate the times for the recordings.   (If you do go with only one location, then I recommend that you NOT configure an address for the location.  If you configure an address, then the timezone is locked to that addres, and cannot be changed.  If you don't configure an address, then you can change the timezone as you wish - letting you adjust the timezone to the home you are in).

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have not been able to talk to anyone at Arlo and I am unable to find the individual $4.99 plan for my 2 locations. I have 1 camera at each of 2 locations. Right now I am under a multi camera plan in 1 location but this does not work for me to access each site separately. Please offer any insights you might have.
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you logged into My.Arlo.Com and looked at the plans you have from there?

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant
The web site shows program options - what was $4.99 is now $7.99 each month for each location - UGH. Any ideas on how to set up a routine where the Pro 4 light comes on at night when movenet is detectetd? The option is greyed out in my online site. The siren option is not greyed out so I am confused why and how to modify this. thanks everyone for your assitance.
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There was a price increase for the subscription and that is why you are seeing a different amount. 

For the Pro 4 light you can set up a schedule from the app. When you open he Arlo app click on routines ~ Automations ~ Add an Automation ~ Add schedule then you can add a time frame when you want the camera to record. Or under modes you can click on the mode of your choice ~ Add device rules ~ choose the Pro 4 and then you can add actions on what you want that specific camera to do. Let me know if that helps.

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant
I want to have the camera light come on when motion is detected after dark. There is not a way to add actions to individual cameras from the modes view. I can add a siren action but the turn on light is greyed out.
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you send me a screenshot of what you are seeing under Routines and then the settings under whatever mode you are using?

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don't see a way to attach a screenshot from my pixel phone to this exchange. Do you have an email address I can send images to?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@stcbalke wrote:
I want to have the camera light come on when motion is detected after dark. 

That is controlled in the nightvision settings for the camera, not in the camera rules/mode.  Go into the camera settings, then select Night Vision.  Turn Night Vision  on, and then select "Color".

Note that this will only work if the camera is set to record when motion is detected.

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have done what you suggested.  After I select color in night vision it still does not give me the option to have a light come on when motion is detected.  I think I have my camera set to record, but maybe I don't and this is the problem.  Can you help please.  Sorry this is taking so long.  Very frustrating for me!

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

i have gone to DEVICES, then selected the camera that I what to record/turn on light, then selected night vision, then selected color.  Then there is no option to have light turn when motion is detected.  What am I missing?  After these settings I go to device and make sure the camera is recording.  Is this where I am missing something?  Maybe I don't have my camera turned on to record video.  I am so sorry to struggle with this.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Within the app on your phone go under Routines from there Click either ARM AWAY, ARM HOME or STANDBY whichever one that you are using, Then you will click on Add device Rules. Click on the device that you are wanting to add the rules to and click save. Then click on the device you just added. From there you can add actions. Under the add action you should see different options and one should be turn on light. 

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was hoping that this was it but it is not.  I can do all you suggest until right when you say select an action (turn on light) and it is still greyed out.

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there something I need to turn off to make this work.  Do I need to turn off audio monitor?  Movement monitor pull down does not work for me.  

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Let's try one more thing, if it does not work I will escalate a ticket to support. Are you on an iPhone or Android?

stcbalke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am a relatively competent techie person, but this is crazy.  I really appreciate you help.  Not sure where this is going as we keep hitting road blocks.   Can you go on my account and see if I have set up something the wrong way?  I ammune I do this process on my Google Pixel 6 and not on the online account site.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation