Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Upgrade to Pro 4

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JMCFAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Currently have a 5 camera system....4 Pros one Pro 4 and VMB4000 hub, Since the Pros and ending life I am going to purchase a 4 camera set of Pro 4s.  I also do not curently pay for a subscription, The Pros have  free 7 day cloud storage that is no longer ( for a long time I guess....) available

What is advantage if any in keeping Hub?  

Should I start a subscption and then just delete the Pros and add the new Pro4s?   Looking for best way to do this...

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JMCFAN wrote:

The Pros have  free 7 day cloud storage that is no longer ( for a long time I guess....) available

The free cloud storage is still available, and Arlo says they have no current plans to discontinue it.

Are you saying that you are no longer seeing recordings?  Have you tried making a manual recording while livestreaming?

@JMCFAN wrote:

What is advantage if any in keeping Hub?  

One advantage is that you can add local USB storage.  You can't see them in the app, but they can still be useful as backups.

@JMCFAN wrote:

Should I start a subscption and then just delete the Pros and add the new Pro4s?   Looking for best way to do this...

Personally I'd leave the Pros in place for now, and just add the Pro 4s.   They will come with a trial subscription (likely one month), so no need to get the subscription first before that ends.

JMCFAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Says the Arlo Pros will cease to be supported on April 1....and the 7 day cloud storage will cease...   I still have it on Pros now...

"Both will stop receiving updates, email notifications and access to seven-day cloud storage on April 1. "

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JMCFAN wrote:

Says the Arlo Pros will cease to be supported on April 1....and the 7 day cloud storage will cease...

"Both will stop receiving updates, email notifications and access to seven-day cloud storage on April 1. "

You must be looking at an old EOL document.  Arlo changed that plan after getting a lot of customer backlash.  One hint is that the final EOL date for the Pro was 1 July 2023, not 1 April.

Email notifications are gone (for everyone, not just legacy cameras).  Security updates for the Pro should continue until 1 July 2024 (no new feature updates).   But the free 7-day storage for legacy cameras continues.

See this:

Can I still use my EOL device?
EOL devices may continue to be operated by the existing registered Arlo owners to record and livestream video from the camera, receive motion notifications on their smartphone, and store video clips locally with a compatible Arlo SmartHub or Base Station.

Also look at the reply from @JamesC (Arlo) here:

JMCFAN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you!   So I will need a subscription for the one Pro4 I have unless I just want to upgrade....or buy the Pro4s and add more cameras... 🙂

Kdboy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is this a joke? I just bought all new cameras on sale a couple months ago and I did not read anywhere that they weren't going to be supported.  I bought these cameras directly from Arlo

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kdboy wrote:

I just bought all new cameras on sale a couple months ago and I did not read anywhere that they weren't going to be supported.  I bought these cameras directly from Arlo

What camera models did you purchase?  

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation