Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 - terrible night recording

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
kyle242gt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Motion triggers recording.  Audio works properly.  Occasionally will get one frame of clear vision, but generally just a n entirely grey image.  It is pixelated, so I can see it's recording something, but there's no useable video.

Firmware 1.080.20.1_23_d50a19d

Recording to base station VMB4000r3 firmware 1.21.1.0_4302_9611cf3

These are both from the same video - it's not even night!

HDR is off (makes no difference either way), brightness at 0, night vision on, spotlight off.  Full wifi signal.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 101045.pngScreenshot 2023-12-31 101117.png 

9 REPLIES 9
kyle242gt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Another pair of images from the other camera - the bright spot is a deer's eye.Screenshot 2023-12-31 101526.pngScreenshot 2023-12-31 101600.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Usually this is due to loss on the wifi connection between the camera and the base (in particular, loss of the key frame).

Do you see artifacts or freezes when you livestream the cameras?

kyle242gt
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera that's farther away stutters a little bit when live, but the close one (less than 20' from the hub) is spot-on.

If it's relevant, the old cameras (Pro2 H14) do not have this issue at all, in the same place, with the same connectivity.

kyle242gt
Aspirant
Aspirant
Spoiler
Any help or troubleshooting tips?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If you swap the cameras, does the problem move with the camera?  Or does it stay at the location?

kyle242gt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Follows the camera.  This is the Pro 2 camera in the same spot, basestation in the same spot.  Video is perfectly smooth and clear (foggy weather in this still).

Screenshot 2024-01-02 180846.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kyle242gt wrote:

Follows the camera.  This is the Pro 2 camera in the same spot, basestation in the same spot.  Video is perfectly smooth and clear (foggy weather in this still).

Did you swap the two Pro 4 cameras?  That was what I meant.

FWIW, the Pro 4 cameras use 2x the bandwidth of the Pro 2 cameras, so they do need a better wifi connection than the Pro 2s.  If your router is close to the base (or if the Pro 4 is connected directly to your home wifi), you could measure the upload speed at the camera location using your phone.  The Ookla speedtest app will give you that info (also some info on packet loss).  Just make sure you turn off mobile data on the phone before you run it. 

kyle242gt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Both Pro4 cameras have the same low-light performance, irrespective of bandwidth and proximity to modem/router and base station.  Base station is directly connected to modem/router.

How can I test bandwidth from the camera itself?  Or do you mean run the Ookla test from my phone standing at camera location?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kyle242gt wrote:

Or do you mean run the Ookla test from my phone standing at camera location?

Yes, that is what I meant.

The base is adjacent to your router/home wifi, and will be using the same wifi channel.  So the speed measured by your phone should be similar to what the camera gets. 

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation