Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Moving overseas

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Tilghmanb2
Follower
Follower

Greetings,

I work for the US Government and may be moving to northern Italy in the near future.  Will my US acquired Arlo system work in Italy?  I have Arlo Pro 3 and Pro 4 cameras.  Will I have to get chargers which will work on 220 volts?

Thanks in advance, Tilghman

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The system will work in Italy. Do not remove the system from your account - just unplug your hub (if one is used) and remove the batteries from the cameras so they don't deplete. If the cameras are connected to WiFi, the easy thing to do when you are setting up the new network is to edit the router's SSID and password to be the same as before. That way turning things on will just cause them to work as before. ALso, since you set up the system in the US, your account and any subscriptions will continue to work as long as you maintain the same US credit card.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tilghmanb2 wrote:

Will I have to get chargers which will work on 220 volts?

All Arlo chargers can handle 220 volts (although for regulatory reasons the label on the charger might not say that).  But you will need europlug->US power adapters to plug them into the wall.  And that can be tricky for some outlets.

What you might want to consider is getting a multiport charger that doesn't plug directly into the wall, but instead uses a 2-wire power cable.   These all work up to 240 volts and can charge laptops, phones, etc. as well as Arlo.  Pro 4 cameras will work with normal 5V/2A chargers. 

Then you can get inexpensive power cables to connect that charger to any local power.  For instance, this combination would work for Italy:

If you end up going somewhere else, you can just pick up another power cable for that location.  For instance, this would work in the UK:

I've used this approach for international travel for some years now, and it has worked out quite well for me.  (Note I am not using the particular charger I linked in above - that is just one of several possibilities).

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation