Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Maximum number of cameras per base station?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

I currently have 12 cameras connected to one base station. Most of the time 6 are in standby mode. There’s never more than two cameras recording at once. 
every single time I have an issue with arlo services they immediately blame the amount of cameras I have. Even when it makes no sense, like rogue notifications from a misconfigured server. 

Is there an actual limit to how many cameras each base station can support? Are they really that underpowered that 12 devices who are mostly in standby affects performance? 
(fyi I use the base station for HomeKit so direct WiFi isn’t a great solution). 

5 REPLIES 5
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The limit is 15 cameras on a base station I recall, not sure of the number of Base stations but this is more limited by the uploading bandwidth to the isp.

The wifi bandwidth limit is set to 5 cameras by arlo for concurrent streaming.

Arlo cloud storage requires a subscription on newer cameras but arlo allows in app access to recordings stored on the Base station USB device.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor... 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

The limit is 15 cameras on a base station I recall

@motomax: While several folks here have said there is a 15 camera limit per base over the years, I don't think there is any specified limit in any of the KB articles or datasheets. 

@JamesC:  I think the limit (whatever it is) should be in a KB article.  Perhaps it could be added to this one?

motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

@DannyBearAgain at 12 cameras I would still be under this unofficial limit. The ips upload limit could definitely be a factor which is why I always point out they aren’t recording. 
my issue this time was a failing firmware upgrade. For some reason arlo thinks it’s a good idea to disable cameras that have pending firmware updates (WTH are they thinking??). They claimed I had to deactivate most of my cameras to allow the firmware update to get through. They had also claimed that a factory reset was the only way to push the upgrade which also didn’t make sense. Eventually the firmware update went through (two weeks after arlo had disabled my camera). 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@motomax ,

Regards the firmware update to cameras, I have read that arlo pushes out the updates at times where the server usage is low which for USA would be after midnight. Other regions are usually delayed hence the disclaimer about the update not immediately rolled out to other countries.

The process to update can be stalled by the battery capacity of the camera, any camera with less than 50% gets skipped.

I do recall that the process of adding a camera makes it check for a update automatically which is why the need to remove and reinstall is suggested.

Not sure why you would need to deactivate cameras in your situation. There could be a limit to how many cameras can be updated at the same time per account.

motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

@DannyBearAgain  Yeah a lot of what they said did t really add up. I don’t actually care about the firmware upgrade. 
The main issue is that the arlo app disables my camera if there’s a firmware update available and if it fails my camera remains disabled (unable to record or live stream but still online). If I force quite the app I can live stream only once before it gets disabled and asks me to update the firmware. Pretty annoying. 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation