Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Full screen in browser cropped on large display

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Is there a way to get full screen in a browser on a large monitor? I have a 34" curved monitor connected to my laptop and I used to be able to take a live view full screen and get the full view, but then at some point last year (don't remember when exactly) the full screen view got cropped with black bars along the top and right side. This happens in Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge, but seems to be just with the large monitor. If I use the laptop screen I get the full image. The photos show the full screen view on the 34" curved monitor, the window live view and the full screen on the laptop screen.Full screen on 34" curved monitor connected to laptopFull screen on 34" curved monitor connected to laptopWindow live viewWindow live viewFull screen on laptop monitorFull screen on laptop monitor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This issue with the full screen should now be resolved. Please let me know if you continue to experience these symptoms. 

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@slash128 wrote:

Is there a way to get full screen in a browser on a large monitor? I have a 34" curved monitor connected to my laptop and I used to be able to take a live view full screen and get the full view, but then at some point last year (don't remember when exactly) the full screen view got cropped with black bars along the top and right side. This happens in Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge, but seems to be just with the large monitor.

What is the resolution of the monitor?

Some are not 16:9, so cannot show the entire video iimage full screen without black bars.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Stephen, resolution is 3440 x 1440 so it's larger than 16:9. I don't mind black bars filling in the empty areas when the video format doesn't fit the screen resolution, but I was hoping it wouldn't cut off parts of the image while there is room on the screen for everything. It used to show the whole image but changed at some point last year...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@slash128 wrote:

resolution is 3440 x 1440 so it's larger than 16:9.

Wider than 16x9  - it is 21.5x9.  So there is no way to display it full screen without either

• cropping it (removing some of the image) or
  • putting in black bars or
  • distorting the image (stretching it horizontally to fit).

It's not removing any of the image or distorting the image - that is quite clear when you compare the three screen shots.  FWIW, I think there was a bug a while back, where my.arlo.com would crop out some ot the image (filling the whole screen) on these displays when you chose full screen.  

So I think what they are doing is reasonable, but it ideally it would fill the screen vertically, and just have black bars on the side.  Your screenshot shows black space both vertically and horizontally, it could be somewhat larger.   Normally the image would be centered, and not left justified.  I'm tagging @JamesC to call his attention to the rendering you are getting.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Stephen, I appreciate your reply but I disagree - it is most certainly removing the lower portion of the view. 

Here's a comparison image. The selection in red from the full screen view on the laptop monitor is missing from the full screen view of the large monitor. This is several feet of visibility. Also, the control buttons are cropped out as well.

Again, I don't mind black bars filling in empty areas, I would just like to have the entire view visible in full screen mode.

Comparison.jpg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@slash128 wrote:

Hi Stephen, I appreciate your reply but I disagree - it is most certainly removing the lower portion of the view. 

Yes, you are correct - no idea how I missed that.  Just wondering - if the mouse down with the scroll wheel, does that change anything?

Hopefully @JamesC will make sure this is on Arlo's bug list.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

No worries and thank you for looping him in and trying to assist. I can provide any further details or testing that helps. I tried the mouse scroll wheel but it didn't change anything. I can change the zoom, and that changes the size of the "Live" icon in upper left, but it doesn't change the video image.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the info, I will look in to this and provide an update as soon as possible. 

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ShayneS wrote:

Thank you for the info, I will look in to this and provide an update as soon as possible. 

FWIW, HP's Omen 34C is one monitor that might be useful to test this - it is WQHD (3440x1440).

@slash128 - you might want to confirm that the image displays properly when the display resolution is set to 2560x1440.  Obviously not a solution - just thinking that it would confirm that the unusual aspect ratio of the display is triggering the bug.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

With resolution set to 2560x1440 I get the entire view in full screen complete with onscreen controls.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@slash128 wrote:

With resolution set to 2560x1440 I get the entire view in full screen complete with onscreen controls.

So it works with 16:9, but renders incorrectly at 21.5:9.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Correct

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @slash128 

The team identified the issue and a fix for this is coming soon. I'll provide another update as soon as I have more information.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Great news, thank you for the update.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@slash128 

I just wanted to check in and let you know the team is still working on getting this update out. I'll continue to provide you with updates. 

Thanks 

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Appreciate the update, thank you!

arlospain
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have four Arlo H9's and a large screen with 5120x1440 resolution (which I need). In full screen I get a cropped camera view in one corner of the screen. It is missing about 25% of the bottom part of the entire view of the camera.

Can you give us a way to just see the whole image in the center of the screen perhaps, with left/right view and a small group of thumbnails below with camera names so that we can select and/or scroll through. This would be awesome. At present I cannot view my cameras on my PC screen. It looks like this: https://postimg.cc/mPRKtRnF/848522a3

Thanks.

arlospain
Aspirant
Aspirant

The app had an update today and so did the Arlo website. I can now see the image better, thanks.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Good to hear they are making some progress. Unfortunately for me I still get a cropped image in full screen. It appears it is the icon area from the non-full screen view that gets cropped out in full screen for me.

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

Any updates on this?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @slash128 

The update for this is still on the roadmap for release. I will update the thread as soon as I see the update has been applied. 

slash128
Luminary
Luminary

I noticed today that I have full screen again on my large display, thank you!Screenshot 2024-05-13 102646.png

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This issue with the full screen should now be resolved. Please let me know if you continue to experience these symptoms. 

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation