Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
chickenchick
Star
Star

I have a 3 Pro 4s and a hub VM4540.

i used the cameras without batteries for several weeks the I bought an third party mount to secure it on a place I want.

however, one of my three cameras isn’t connecting to my hub without a battery. Once the battery is out and connected to power, the blue LED is flashing long & won’t connect. When the battery is in, the camera would automatically connect. I tried resetting the camera and reconnect it to the hub, but the same happens again.

any thoughts on that?? Gurus who did not experience the problem, I would appreciate you refrain from responding with your success stories.

10 REPLIES 10
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

How are you externally powering the camera. Will another camera behave the same in that location and vice versa?

If you’re using a generic charger adapter and the camera is in a location with low signal strength, the camera may not be able to manage a connection.

As a workaround just leave the battery in as the charger will just trickle charge it.

motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’ve had the same problem forever. Using the arlo usb and power block and it still doesn’t work all the time. I can get it to work eventually by power cycling the camera multiple times. If I happen to reboot the smart hub I’ll have to start the process all over again. 
Works perfectly once a battery is inserted. My guess is that arlo wants you to keep buying batteries. Keeping a camera plugged in 100% of the time will eventually damage the battery no matter what arlo tells you. 

chickenchick
Star
Star

The reply above as well as the second previous message well illustrated Arlo wanna make you use and eventually buy their batteries.

I am using 3 cameras with a hub without batteries. One of the three cameras drops offline on and off. 

also, from time to time, all 3 cameras fail to connect. They will be back online some time later (can’t predict). Is Arlo a failed product??

motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chickenchick arlo is bugs galore. They usually introduce something new every time they fix something. It wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t hide it from their own tech support staff lol. 
They work great when they work. When they stop working you just have to wait around until they fix themselves. 
when I got my pro4s as upgrade from the original pros (which are solid) I couldn’t keep them online more than a day. They were ridiculously unreliable. Eventually they fixed themselves lol. I still kept my original pros active and now every time I have an issue arlo blames it on having too many cameras, even though they almost never record and I have less than even their live stream limit lol. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @chickenchick 

Thanks for the feedback. If I'm understanding correctly, the camera does not connect to the Smart Hub when using only AC power, but when the battery is inserted it will be available in the app?

chickenchick
Star
Star

@motomax indeed yes the Pro4s along with the hub are working fine when they work. Once they don’t work, I have to wait for it to fix itself.

chickenchick
Star
Star

@ShayneS 

the camera doesn’t connect on and off while I am on direct AC power by an iPhone 1A charger. Later on, I changed to a 1.5A charger and it is now working fine for 2 days. It seems the camera needs more power for the infrared light during the night and it gave up without enough power & never came back online again without a power cycling of the AC power. A 1.5A power source is the key.

chickenchick
Star
Star

@ShayneS 

but, at times all 3 of my cameras go offline without apparent reason with my hub still appears on in the Arlo app. I couldn’t fix it by reboot the hub in app. I don’t live nearby so I couldn’t power cycle the hub physically. 

the cameras would fix themselves & go online again a few hours later. Any idea what’s going on?? (Apparently no one wanna know about this)

chickenchick
Star
Star

Also, on the endless topic of USELESS LOCAL RECORDING ON HUB, I still can’t review my footage from the hub with Arlo app while it’s very smooth from Online Storage. My online free trial is coming to an end soon.

You are not delivering service with your product. shall we all be provided FREE online storage until you Arlo fixes the viewing problem??

shall I go to my local Consumer Council to get it sorted?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@chickenchick 

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support through the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation