Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Tonered12
Apprentice
Apprentice

Out of nowhere last night one of my Arlo pro4s went offline. All my other cameras are online . I tried rebooting router and un inserting the battery . When I un inserted the battery and put back in the LED blinked blue rapidly, then picked up motion worked for an hour then offline again. What else should I do and why could this be happening? Does the update have something to do with it? 

#support #arlopro4 #offline

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing all your feedback, we have rolled back the firmware to the previous version. Can you please reboot your camera(s) and test again. Please let me know if you still experience this issue.

Thank you 

188 REPLIES 188
Barc
Luminary
Luminary

It's baaaaaack!  I'm in my 60's and climbing ladders to reset these cameras every day is not even a choice.  Screenshot 2023-07-18 221908.jpg

Tonered12
Apprentice
Apprentice

This sucks. I was on my ladder 2 hours ago in the dark. I’m praying they fix this by end of week the latest . We’ve all been patient enough 

hoer-hlaew
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo needs to add an ability to rollback firmware in the app - this is pretty common practice in IT for exactly this instead of being locked in. Maybe that would get us out of the current mess of unusable cameras, until they really fix it. I bought these and the cloud stuff to make it easier, not an extra side hobby of swapping batteries and fiddling around.

When I was researching the sound issue, I also came across this happening exactly 4 years ago in a kinda similar fashion on other cameras: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Sound-Detection-Issues-Since-Update/td-p/1712531 - mid-July is like a really bad new firmware time I guess.

Kitaka
Guide
Guide

Running same firmware as you and issues only started when this was updated.

I've hard reset all mine now and they have stayed online for the day but battery life is now rubbish and im guessing they will drop out again. No way that i can see to rollback the firmware, arlo will need to release a new version i suppose.......that's assuming they can accept they have an issue first!!!

christinaj82
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo is nuts how can they say our Wi-Fi is the issue when I have 4 cameras up and working fine but the other two having issues connecting.. Don’t get me started on their junk a** solar panels either. I will be taking them down tomorrow and returning all of them this is not okay especially since I pay each month for these cameras and they keep going offline. 

Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

After my rant last night I turned off the microphone and speaker from within the app 

my battery level is still at 33% over night 

I just have not had Any recordings out back 

Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

its 3am 

I went out side too look at the camera and to plug it back in 

well it was at 33% because the camera was locked up and not working and the 2 red lights were stuck ON in the top of the camera 

I pulled the battery for 10 seconds and plugged it back in and to charge with the external charger from arlo 

it's no longer working with live stream and it did not record me at all after the battery reinsert 

guess I'll see what happens later today 

the app says it's on wireless Not plugged in to charge and I can not live stream or change any options on the camera from the app 

my wirless router does show it being connected to wirless 

Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

Troubleshooting steps so far

Deleted from app check 

followed arlo app to rest camera to factory default holding sync button check (now it scans my QR code)

tried to read camera check but fail!    Can't get past both red lights blinking it will not readd my camera so it's bricked 

ztw220
Star
Star

Weird…night time comes and so does the offline Arlos4s.. what’s funny to me is the Ring camera I bought to replace the Arlo in the mean time is working just fine!!! I think Ring has surpassed its’ poor rep and has superseded Arlo at this point. #fixit

Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

last update as i am done with this.

i hooked up my 4th "which was considered my backup arlo4"   outback that was no longer working per my last 3 posts..

it worked for about 30 minutes.  and my backup camera is now offline.   i am guessing it got the firmware update pushed to it

T6788j1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having an issue that started a week or so ago. All 3 cameras go offline when it becomes dark. I noticed 2 red leds on all 3 cameras lit. The batteries are being drained and cameras non responsive with motion. As soon as the sun comes up, cameras react properly again.

Mammoth670
Guide
Guide

interesting!   i noticed its daylight out and my camera i've worked on for hours today is online again currently?!

MHplus
Guide
Guide

If you are in the United States, contact your State Attorney General and file a consumer complaint against Arlo Technologies. They will open an investigation into this company and their practices.

https://www.naag.org/find-my-ag/

Arlo Pro 4 Wireless Security Camera 

Mike1964
Aspirant
Aspirant

The firmware in my camera was updated last week with the same version 1.080.20.0_17_1a8a9cf. 
I have 4 camera model VMC4041PAerH4. Two of the 4 cameras are draining the battery overnight. There seems to be an issue with the firmware. Before this all cameras worked fine for the last year. Any solutions? 

MHplus
Guide
Guide

Join the rest of us on this topic in Arlo pro offline. It’s the one with 1500+ views. We are all experiencing the same and there’s no resolution or support from Arlo on this. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe there was a comment that removing the camera from your account and connecting it back again fixed the problem. I don't know whether that works for everyone.

Barc
Luminary
Luminary

Apparently, Arlo Pro 4 cameras are now designed for daytime use only.  I just performed my new daily morning routine of removing/reinserting batteries to wake up the cameras and then charge them because they are completely drained.  Tonight when it gets dark they'll all go offline again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

I guess all burglars have to do is find houses with Arlo Pro 4 cameras and then wait until they see them start blinking orange to know when it is safe to break into the house undetected.  Man, this is some great security system.  🙄

SpencerHamons
Tutor
Tutor

Have an Arlo Pro 4. After the July 12, 2023 update to 1.080.20.0_17_1a8a9cf firmware, every time I check the camera in the App, it says that the camera requires a firmware update. I repeatedly try to update in the app, but then the screen goes to "Camera is Offline". Made the drive out to the camera to check it. Plugged in, charged, good signal. While connected via WiFi on the same network, the camera still will not update. The light on the front of the camera flashes Blue / Red and the app says that it is updating. However, after about 5 - 7 minutes, the App then says, "Your Arlo device appears offline. Please make sure it's powered on and connected to the Internet".  At this point, the camera is still flashing Blue / Red. After another 4 minutes or so, the camera stops flashing and reboots. However, when I go into the app, it still says, "Firmware Update is Available".   I have tried pulling the battery and removing it from the charging station, but the same behavior occurs. 

The worst part of this is that the camera is unusable while the firmware update is pending. The problem wouldn't be so bad if I could still use the camera while waiting for time to make the hour drive to go check on it. 

Since the camera is pretty much useless at this point, I am going to bring it home with me so I can do some more troubleshooting. Right now, still showing "Firmware Update Available". 

Need some help on how to fix this.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Barc wrote:

Apparently, Arlo Pro 4 cameras are now designed for daytime use only.  I just performed my new daily morning routine of removing/reinserting batteries to wake up the cameras and then charge them because they are completely drained.  Tonight when it gets dark they'll all go offline again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Not something I've seen.

• How much recording is happening at night? 
  • Are you noticing the spotlight coming on a lot after dark?
  • If you are using home wifi, is the wifi enabled 24x7?

Though painful, one thing you could try is doing a factory reset, and then re-add the camera back to your account.

Tonered12
Apprentice
Apprentice

I do the factory reset and remove and re add the cameras daily, lol. It goes offline after you do this about 24 hours or so after . My wifi is 24-7 it’s the same amount of recording as it’s been for months with no prior issues until the update was released 

Randicox3
Star
Star

That’s exactly what mine are doing!!! Last night, they were offline but the front yard camera was still running because I could tell from my doorbell camera that it was on. I got an email saying it had 13% of battery and all of a sudden it wasn’t running anymore. It only goes offline when it gets dark outside. 

And you’re absolutely right about that. All a burglar has to do is check for the pro4 lol 

tmb-19
Star
Star

I’m at the point where I don’t believe any amount of troubleshooting on the user side will solve this. We’ve tried it all. It’s up to Arlo to either fix the firmware or roll back. 

SpencerHamons
Tutor
Tutor

UPDATE: Brought the camera home to work more comfortably. Same behavior, even after connecting the camera to a 2.4GHz network with a 1Gbps, low latency fiber Internet connection. Did a full factory reset and re-setup the camera. During the initial setup when the camera was updating, all worked well. Camera is now running the July 12, 2023 firmware 1.080.20.0_17_1a8a9cf. 

There is something that stopped this particular Arlo Pro 4 from autoupdating, and stopped the manual update from finishing. Suggest someone check to see how many Arlo Pro 4's out there haven't successfully updated yet since it has been a week since the software was pushed.

Spencer Hamons

Azcanuk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Within the last two days, we had three of our cameras go "offline" without any notifications. 

When the first one went offline we changed out the battery, back "online" and working.  At that time I checked all cameras battery levels, and none showed low, in fact two showed fully charged, which surprised me as I had changed the battery several weeks ago.  

Last night when we went to set the alarm, the two that had showed fully charged were "offline".

We had not received any notifications about battery levels for any of the three cameras.  I changed out one of the cameras with a fully charged battery, the second one I brought into the house, pulled the battery, then placed it back in the camera.  The camera booted up, went "online" then sent a notification email that the battery was down to 2%.

Why do we not receive the battery low notifications before the cameras go "offline"?? 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.