Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Smart Subscription - BS

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
psvaj9527
Tutor
Tutor

The free trial just ended for Arlo Smart. I cannot believe I spent $599 for 3 Arlo Pro 4 and now I can't even manually record live stream without a Base Station (SmartHub), what a total BS! I wish I knew this BS information before purchasing this package. SMFH! Now I have to pay monthly for "smart" features that I won't even use just to be able to record to the cloud. I spend more money on a camera and get screwed in the end. What a great business model Arlo. I will not recommend it to anyone. Now I have to buy a SmartHub and some storage (micro SSD, USB). SMFH!! I wish I could have bought this off Amazon so I can return it. Very disappointed.

7 REPLIES 7
dcfox1
Master
Master

A little research goes a long way. It is on the box and product page that you need a sub after the trial runs out for cloud recordings. For the cost of a hub compared to the sub it will be a while to recoup the money and Hub recordings have several limitations. Might want to research that in the FAQ here before buying a Hub. 

psvaj9527
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I know that it required sub after the trial is over, but basically why stop free cloud recording for Pro 4 when it's allowed on Pro 2? basically other security cam allowed this 14 days free cloud storage feature. SMH

dcfox1
Master
Master

@psvaj9527 wrote:

Yes, I know that it required sub after the trial is over, but basically why stop free cloud recording for Pro 4 when it's allowed on Pro 2? basically other security cam allowed this 14 days free cloud storage feature. SMH

The Pro2 and older still have the free 7 day storage. All Models released since starting with the Ultra in 2018 require one. Eufy and Ring require a sub also about the same price. 

psvaj9527
Tutor
Tutor
What’s annoying is that when the camera detect a motion and you can’t even record to your phone’s internal storage. The apps is horrible, and they find every way to make to purchase the subscription or the hub. Come on Arlo, even the cheap Wyze can give me a 12 sec motion caption for up to 7 days.
TP1980
Tutor
Tutor

Well... Eufy's SoloCam series don't need a hub nor cloud subscription for recordings.

psvaj9527
Tutor
Tutor
That’s exactly my point. Why pay $599 for 3 camera and then have to pay $99-$200 for a smart hub or sun monthly? And the mobile apps doesn’t even allow you a record feature either. Total BS software design and device.
TP1980
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah. I have almost 3 months to decide which brand/system to choose. With Arlo I HAVE TO either buy a hub or subscribe to cloud. With eufy SoloCam's I wouldn't need anything else.

But the thing is that those aren't perfect either. Their software have issues too and the developers don't listen to the customers (either). Also their web browser features are pathetic.

So far I*ve tested 4-5 different brands and I can honestly say everyone has major flaws and almost none of the companies listen to the customers. It would be so easy to "dominate" this wireless camera market if you just listened to the customers. I've seen plenty of good (and easily implemented!) development ideas written 1-2 years ago and nothing has happened. All the companies are only in it for the short term money and don't care about completely wiping the competition by making "the perfect system". Or at least significantly better than the others.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind buying one of the Arlo hubs and ditching all my other brands IF the hub gave me most of the features from the cloud but I doubt that Arlo would ever allow that. They want the constant cash flow and don't care about people who don't want their videos to leave their own network.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation