Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Chris612
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey quick question, Can I set up an Arlo Pro 4 smart hub remotely from my location and connect it to the cameras that are set up 700 miles away for Continuous Video Recording? I want to know if this can be done before buying the smart hub. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chris612 wrote:

Can I set up an Arlo Pro 4 smart hub remotely from my location and connect it to the cameras that are set up 700 miles away for Continuous Video Recording?

1. You need to be at the location to add the smarthub and the camera(s) to your account
  2. Continuous Video Recording has its own subscription, and requires that the Pro 4 be AC powered. Solar won't do.

Once installed, you can look at the camera feed remotely.

Chris612
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a reason I need to be onsite, I mean the hub requires a network connection so do the cameras, and the cameras are powered constantly. Is it that they need to be on the same network?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chris612 wrote:

Is there a reason I need to be onsite, I mean the hub requires a network connection so do the cameras, and the cameras are powered constantly. Is it that they need to be on the same network?

The phone (or PC) needs to be on the same network as the devices in order to add both the smarthub and the cameras.  Unfortunately a VPN won't help.

Chris612
Aspirant
Aspirant

Are you sure about this? My friend has configured the cameras on a separate network from the smart hub, and they are synced. I'm receiving contradictory information, and the Arlo support team does not understand how their products work. But thank you for the reply

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Installing a hub requires physically being there to connect the hub via the Ethernet cable as well as to power. Even if someone else does this for you, you still have to be there so your phone is using the same network to be able to find the hub and complete the installation. You could give your friend your user information so he could do it for you but you'd better really trust him and/or change your password afterwards.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation