Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
TP1980
Tutor
Tutor

I hadn't received any alerts for ~3 days. Didn't think I had an issue because the temperature has been around -15°C and the camera seems to "shut down" for safety measures. I mainly use tinycam app to see the live feeds of my cameras and only use the Arlo app to watch recordings and change settings etc.

Now the temperature has risen to -10°C and the camera was still offline and made no recordings so I decided to take a look. It turned out the app was warning about low battery and refused to play live feed. So I bring the camera indoor and start charging it. The battery level was still at 25% which I don't consider that low and especially so low that the camera should disable the live feed for that.

The opinion that this camera is vastly overpriced gets stronger and stronger every day. Every other camera I have (6 of them, 5 different brands) are working fine even at -20C and none of them has been draining battery at the same rate as my Arlo one. Also, all the other apps have notified me when the batteries are getting low. They still record and show live feed as usual even when the battery is low. I cannot understand why Arlo acts differently.

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When the cameras are rated for -20c, there will always be fluctuation in the actual temps due to  variance in parts....

But it should  be  functioning at -10c.

As to alerts for low batt, I'm still seeing them from my cameras at somewhere between 10-16% ( depends on camera ).

The only thing I can think of is to test your cameras WITHOUT the third party app and see if it makes a difference.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TP1980
Tutor
Tutor

I think they shut down at -15C which is pretty far from the -20C if you think of percentages. I'd understand something like -18C being the trigger point but... Oh well... Not much I can do about it.

Regarding the 3rd party app(s)... It doesn't explain anything as even though tinycam is the main app I use I still have verified everything with the Arlo app. So when something has been wrong with tinycam the same issue has always been with the Arlo app. Arlo app just gives me more info about the issues. So it's clearly the camera, not the apps.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation