Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO Pro 4 VMC4041p Wont connect to 2.4 wifi with encryption

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ABLONGRO
Aspirant
Aspirant

I move every three to six months due to working contract work. I do not always have access to a routers settings. I purchased a TP link wifi extender with 2.4/5 herts capabilities. the only settings I can see on the 2.4 is that it is encrypted. I cannot see if it is a WPA2 or not. shouldn't it being encrypted with a password be good enough? 
I am getting the chime but then the camera only blinks a few times and stops and I get the cannot locate camera error. 

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

What model is the extender?

ABLONGRO
Aspirant
Aspirant

It’s the RE-205 model 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ABLONGRO wrote:

It’s the RE-205 model 

The datasheet says WPA2

It is definitely an older model (802.11g), so it is possible that is part of the problem.  Most Arlo cameras won't pair to WiFi that signals TKIP even if they also do WPA2.

You could try creating a hotspot on your phone that uses the same network name/password, and then see if you can onboard the camera that way.  Then turn off the hotspot, and turn on the extender, and see if the camera connects.

ABLONGRO
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the extender two weeks ago but it’s already an old model? 
my cell plan does not have hotspot capabilities, are there any recommendations on extenders that would work better? 
I just don’t understand why the Arlo system has to be on 2.4 when pretty much everything has a 5 system

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation