Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4540r3 Goes Offline Frequently

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Lancs_Dave
Tutor
Tutor

I've just setup a system consisting of the VMB4540r3 hub with one Pro 3 camera, one Essentials Spotlight camera and an Essential wired doorbell with a Chime 2. They all seem to connect to the hub ok and display video and audio.

However, the hub regularly drops offline and hence I loose the camera and doorbell functions.

This dropping out occurred even before I connected the cameras.

The hub was quite tricky to setup and I had to do a factory reset to get it running. 

The hub has Firmware 1.21.1.0_1399_9611cf3 and it tells me that there are no updates available,  even though I can see an April 18, 2024 update 1.24.0.1_1528 on the Arlo Community Website for the VMB4540.

At first I thought my 6m long Ethernet cable was faulty but I've upgraded it to a new Cat 6a one and its made no difference. My BT internet hub and connection is sound as everything else works fine and I had the Essential camera working fine for months before I bought the hub, additional camera and doorbell.

Looking at other people experience this seems a common problem?

Some have solved this by sorting their Ethernet connect issue but mine seems to be a different root cause?

Can anyone help please?

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Double-check that the power adapter is also firmly in place.

Maybe also try a different LAN port on the router.

Lancs_Dave
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the tips. 

I've switched my cable to a different BT Hub port and I've rechecked my Arlo Hub connections.

The Arlo Hub is still dropping out though.

I've just done an internet speed check and BT have tweeked my Smart Hub settings to improve matters. 

I'll see how this goes but I still suspect the Arlo Hub has an issue?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lancs_Dave wrote:

I'll see how this goes but I still suspect the Arlo Hub has an issue?

Possible.  If you have a subscription, you could try phone support (via the support center in the app).  Though if the smarthub is out of warranty they might not be able to help much.

Lancs_Dave
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks.

No, I don't have a subscription and I'm sure the hub is out of warranty.

Though I still don't know why the Hub won't find the latest Firmware update which is listed here:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Firmware-Release-Table/td-p/1920885?cid=a

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That can depend on what region you're in. Various firmware updates have been rolling out slowly to the various regions so it may be that you're in one that hasn't seen the latest release yet.

superyin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have similar scenario, I am using VMB5000 base station and connected a Ultra 2 cam. In arlo app both base station and the cam suddenly show offline today (2024/5/7). I power cycled the base station, remove and re-add the device to arlo app, after few attempts it show online again. However it seems not stable and it will turn offline few moments later.

I suspect it is related to the firmware issue, since in arlo app it show currently using 1.21.1.0_1431 and from the arlo firmware release table the latest one is 1.24.0.1_1607 at April 18, 2024.

If the firmware roll-out to the whole world take time, arlo should give a alternative method to the user to update the firmware by themselves, e.g. put a firmware file in sdcard and insert to the base station, etc.

Lancs_Dave
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry to hear you are having similar issues.
I’ve also tried a reboot with no luck either, very frustrating!

I’m sure it’s not a hardware or WiFi or internet hub issue either and like you I think it’s a firmware issue. 
I agree it is poor of Arlo not to let you do an update now.

It puts me off extending my system and I certainly wouldn’t be bothering with a subscription.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still seeing the same behavior?

Lancs_Dave
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, still going offline frequently, 6 or 7 times a day I’d guess.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation