Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4540r2 Keeps corrupting local storage

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Shatho
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a VMC4540r2 base station running the latest firmware. A couple of weeks ago, my local drive was corrupted according to the app. I could not reformat it using any method (app, laptop, computer, etc.). I bought a new drive, plugged it into the base station and it formatted the drive. The next day, the app indicated the new drive was corrupted. Same issues. I use Seagate portable 2TB drives.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be a power issue, powering the drive from the USB port (it's USB 2.x so there's a 500mA limit). A thumb drive is much more easily used with 32-64GB holding an awful lot of videos. Have you tried using something like this?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be a power issue, powering the drive from the USB port (it's USB 2.x so there's a 500mA limit). A thumb drive is much more easily used with 32-64GB holding an awful lot of videos. Have you tried using something like this?

Shatho
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have only ever used the external hard drives. The previous one worked great for two years but it is worth a try. I wonder if there is an issue with the hub? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Shatho wrote:

I have only ever used the external hard drives. The previous one worked great for two years but it is worth a try.

The new drive might need USB-3 power levels.

@Shatho wrote:

I wonder if there is an issue with the hub? 

Could be, but doing a risk-buy of a USB thumb drive is I think the best path.  256 GB thumb drives are ~ $20-$25 USD. 

Shatho
Aspirant
Aspirant

I swapped over to a 64 gb flash drive 4 days ago. So far there have been no issues. I think you were correct about the usb power. Thanks! 

Musicalfyre
Initiate
Initiate

It's a community wide problem! 2 hubs with corrupting USB and SD this month. 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation