Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4540 USB local storage overwrites after 30 days when USB is only 23% full

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
RTB-oz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a base station VMB4540r2, firmware 1.21.1.0, iPadOS 17.3.1, with a 128GB USB that I am using for local storage (in addition to my 30 day continuous Cloud subscription). Even though the base station reports Local USB storage is “Good” and it is only using 28GB out of 124GB, it is only retaining local storage recordings for about 30 days even though the USB is only 22% full. Why is this? I have auto overwrite on but I was expecting that it will only overwrite when my USB is approaching low storage which should be much longer than 30 days before it even comes close to 120GB full. How can I configure it to use most of its storage capacity before deleting/overwriting old recordings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RTB-oz wrote:

Even though the base station reports Local USB storage is “Good” and it is only using 28GB out of 124GB, it is only retaining local storage recordings for about 30 days even though the USB is only 22% full.

The app only shows 30 days of local storage. If you eject the drive and examinine it on a PC, you should see the older videos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RTB-oz wrote:

Even though the base station reports Local USB storage is “Good” and it is only using 28GB out of 124GB, it is only retaining local storage recordings for about 30 days even though the USB is only 22% full.

The app only shows 30 days of local storage. If you eject the drive and examinine it on a PC, you should see the older videos.

RTB-oz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for this information. That explains it. I now see the older videos when I check the USB on my laptop. I wonder why there is no mention, either on the Arlo website or in the app itself, of this limitation that the app can only display 30 days local storage? This would avoid unnecessary anxiety that the older videos have been deleted or overwritten. It's also a little inconvenient that I need to eject the USB and open on a computer in order to view locally stored videos older than 30 days. I also wonder why the app can only display 30 days of local storage?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RTB-oz wrote:

I wonder why there is no mention, either on the Arlo website or in the app itself, of this limitation that the app can only display 30 days local storage? 

FWIW, it is here, though a bit buried:

To access your Direct Storage Access recordings in the Arlo Secure App:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App.
  2. Tap Library.
  3. Tap Cloud at the top of the screen to select a storage source.
  4. Select the SmartHub.
  5. Navigate the Arlo Library to view the last 30 days of video recordings.

I don't know why Arlo chose to do this, though IMO the other limitations of direct access to local storage are bigger issues.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation