Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Trouble with external viewing

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
EyeCEwe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased 3 Arlo Pro 3 cameras & VMB4540r2 hub. Come to learn I can only store in cloud for first 30 days for free (that's a WHOLE different heartburn!!!!!) Anyway, they're bought, and they are working fine. I obviously had to add a USB device (did have HD, but switched to Memory Stick due to the following). I am not able to access any of the videos when I'm not at home. I have installed open VPN, I am able to connect to my Netgear router and see the VPN client under the attached devices. My first clue that I can't see videos is that the number of videos never changes to the "list" icon on the Devices tab. I have the latest firmware on everything, I am sitting in my living room with WIFI turned off on the phone, to test. I can manage everything in the app on my phone except the videos. I am not going to use the port forwarding as that is a major security issue. I'm just not understanding what I'm missing. The ONLY thing I can even think of is that the VPN client has a 192.168.2.2 IP on my 192.168.1.x network, but I have looked on OpenVPN, v6500v2 router for a way to change that but it shouldn't have to as the VPN IP is being handed out by the router so it should know how to route to my (Samsung Galaxy S10+) phone.
Thanks for any relevant input

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You used the Netgear-provided config file for OpenVPN, right? WHich app - iOS or Android? I just tested Android and find that the VPN connection is still not working. At the moment, it appears that only port forwarding works on Android. Not sure if that's an Arlo or Netgear/OpenVPN issue but I suspect the former.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

At the moment, it appears that only port forwarding works on Android. Not sure if that's an Arlo or Netgear/OpenVPN issue but I suspect the former.

Me too.  Netgear's OpenVPN does work with the iOS Arlo App.  

EyeCEwe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, would have thought they would have instructions or some others asking. Too bad, their support has really gone downhill.

EyeCEwe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I had to tweak the config because my phone is on home wifi. So I pointed it to my external modem, set up rule to forward the TCP ports to the same internal wifi that has the 4540 hub. I see the VPN connection in the firewall logs, but can't determine why it isn't getting to the Arlo hub. My suspicion is that the VPN client is (i.e. 192.168.2.2 while the wifi is 192.168.1.x. Again router should be able to forward across "subnet" since it is the one handing out the 2.2 IP...)

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation