Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Running Arlo Pro 3 with no batteries

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MikeDz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am trying to run arlo 3 Pro with no battery. In Canada at -30C battery will freeze and will not work. Need instructions on setting up the camera with no battery inserted. I have a direct power adaptor, but when connected all I get is blinking blue light. . It appears I need the battery inserted, but as soon as inserted and powered it will freeze in cold.  Anyone doing it?

4 REPLIES 4
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have Arlo Ultra, but I'm successfully able to run it on a power cable, without the battery being inserted. I presume this would be the case for Arlo Pro 3, too. 

Are you using the original power cable by Arlo? Also, is it classed as external? There have been reports of third party cables not being compatible with Arlo cameras. 

Blinking blue light means that the camera is trying to sync with the base station (https://kb.arlo.com/642/What-do-the-different-LED-behaviors-on-my-Arlo-camera-mean). 

What message are you getting - is it asking you to put in a battery? 

Most importantly, remember that Arlo's cameras themselves have a minimum operating temperature of -20, so in -30 things may be slightly different. Therefore, your problem may not be linked to power/batteries but whether or not your camera can actually work in -30. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

I have Arlo Ultra, but I'm successfully able to run it on a power cable, without the battery being inserted. I presume this would be the case for Arlo Pro 3, too. 

Yes, but you cannot sync it unless it is battery-powered.  After it is synced, you can remove the battery.

@MikeDz:  since you likely will need to resync your cameras from time to time, you do need to keep the batteries (even if you aren't normally using them). 

MikeDz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. Have tried all of these and no go. As soon as I insert battery, camera proceed and re-synced itself automatically and works. Then when I proceed and remove battery it stops. All I see is a slow amber blue light flashing slowly, followed by the two red IR lights on top. When trying to connect from app, get an error message stating that camera appears to be offline. Cable charged the battery originally, so I assume it is compatible, but will check. Also, removed the camera and re-installed it, but no change. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MikeDz wrote:

All I see is a slow amber blue light flashing slowly, followed by the two red IR lights on top. When trying to connect from app, get an error message stating that camera appears to be offline. 

Are you using the charger that came with the camera?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation