Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is there a limit to how many cameras can be charged at the same time?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Thor-Erik
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there a limit to how many cameras can be charged at the same time? I have bought another cable from the original retailer, Arlo. However, it seems that I can not charge them at the same time. Is there any limit to the amount of cameras which can be charged at the same time?
7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Thor-Erik wrote:
Is there a limit to how many cameras can be charged at the same time? I have bought another cable from the original retailer, Arlo. However, it seems that I can not charge them at the same time. Is there any limit to the amount of cameras which can be charged at the same time?

Arlo chargers only have one USB port, so obviously they can only charge one camera at a time.

So you must be using a third-party charger with multiple ports or perhaps a PC.  Do you know its power limit?

Thor-Erik
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I bought an extra cable and it was from Arlo - so that should rule out any compatibility issues? 

I got 4 cameras, there is a lot of activity on 1 of the cameras so the battery there got depleted very fast so I ended up with using one cable there to leave it charging non stop. Thats why I bought another charging cable from Arlo (which is not from a third party - I read about the know issues there) but it seems like I can not charge more than one camera at the time. I have tried switching cables with only charging one camera and that works fine, so I know there is nothing wrong with the cables.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Thor-Erik wrote:

I got 4 cameras, there is a lot of activity on 1 of the cameras so the battery there got depleted very fast so I ended up with using one cable there to leave it charging non stop. Thats why I bought another charging cable from Arlo (which is not from a third party - I read about the know issues there) but it seems like I can not charge more than one camera at the time. I have tried switching cables with only charging one camera and that works fine, so I know there is nothing wrong with the cables.

There's the cable, and then there's the charger it connects to. Are you talking about the outdoor charger for the Pro 3/Pro 4/Ultra (which has an integrated cable)?  Or are you talking about the indoor cable (which is detached from the charger)? 

There is no limit on the number of cameras that can be simultaneously charged.  There is a temperature limit - the batteries won't charge when the temperature is below freezing.  

Thor-Erik
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, both cables are original Arlo indoor cables, and they both are connected to the original Arlo charger.

I dont understand how temperature can influence this since all cameras are outside and one is charging and the other is not?

And I also dont se the the difference if I use outdoor cable, since the indoor works well?

(I have the Arlo Pro 3)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

But what is the ambient temperature for the cameras? 32F/0C is the approximate cutoff for being able to charge but different devices may well be a couple of degrees different for the actual cutoff.

Thor-Erik
Aspirant
Aspirant

If temperature and charging is an issue then I might have another problem since I live in Norway.

But still the problem remains, only one of the cameras are charging ....

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Thor-Erik wrote:

But still the problem remains, only one of the cameras are charging ....

Try

• bringing the camera inside, and see if it charges there (after warming up)
  • swapping the chargers and see if the problem moves
  • swapping the batteries and see if the problem moves.

@Thor-Erik wrote:

If temperature and charging is an issue then I might have another problem since I live in Norway.

The cameras are spec'd to run down to -20C.  But the batteries won't charge below 0C.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation