Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

If I purchased and swapped over to this system will it work WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION PLAN

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
hellop
Follower
Follower

Hi

I currently have an Arlo pro2 system which is heading for its EOL.

Arlo have a deal on the Pro 3 ( with the smart hub) at the moment. If I purchased and swapped over to this system will it work WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION PLAN in the same way my Arlo pro 2 does?  Also will any of my PRO 2 cameras work with the PRO 3.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hellop wrote:

If I purchased and swapped over to this system will it work WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION PLAN in the same way my Arlo pro 2 does? 

The legacy cameras came with 7 days of free cloud storage.  The current cameras require a subscription to get any cloud storage.  So it won't work the same way.

There is a direct access to local storage feature, but it is not as convenient (and IMO offers a poor user experience):

1. recordings only available in the app (not the browser)
  2. recordings only available to the primary account (not shared accounts)
  3. no ability to make manual recordings/snapshots
  4. no thumbnails, so all videos need to be fully downloaded to view
  5. remote access requires router settings changes that many find difficult (and which won't work with some internet providers).

@hellop wrote:

Also will any of my PRO 2 cameras work with the PRO 3.

The Pro 2 cameras are compatible with all bases.

@hellop wrote:

I currently have an Arlo pro2 system which is heading for its EOL.

EOL date for the pro2 is 1 Jan 2025, so still 18 months away.  Arlo has committed to security updates for one year after that, and are saying that the 7-day cloud storage will continue indefinitely.

One option here is to purchase the pro 3 bundle (taking advantage of the discount), but not subscribe until the pro 2 cameras fail.  You could then try out direct access to local storage, and see if that works for you.  Note Arlo might improve the current experience over the next year or so (no idea if/when they will, just a possibility).

Or just wait and see what is available when the Pro 2s no longer work for you.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation