Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How can I DIRECTLY view local storage videos in a Window browser?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
WatchingItAll
Guide
Guide

Hello!

How can I directly view, in a Windows browser, LOCAL videos, i.e. saved on the Base to USB? I can do it from my iPhone and iPad, why not Windows? (I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that mobile devices have an app, and Windows does not, but I'm looking for solutions, not excuses)

Arlo's instructions here are to "Safely Eject the USB Device", move the device to the Windows machine, view your recording, then (after Safely Ejecting the  USB Device from Windows), re-insert into the base..... Please. I cannot do this every time I want to see a recording! Besides, sometimes I am not even in the same location as the base and cameras (yes, I can access the network as a "local" user; I do it on my phone and tablet)

Thanks for any and all help and feedback!

Cheers,

-Paul

P.S. I do not have a cloud/"Smart" subscription. Far too expensive, wonky, and only marginally better in some ways than local storage.

4 REPLIES 4
dcfox1
Master
Master

Seems you understood the instructions but that is the way it is. If you have the 4540 Smart hub you listed you need to view it on your Phone in the library by selecting the hub instead of the cloud. You can not view it in the web site. You would as you saw have to  eject and insert the USB stick into your computer to do it there but not ideal. A subscription is much simper IMO as I just use it as back up but that is up to you. 

WatchingItAll
Guide
Guide

Thanks for your reply, dcfox1. While it is not particularly helpful, in the sense of SOLVING my problem, it seems factual, and as it's the ONLY answer, I'll "accept" it.

I know this isn't your fault, but let me state for the record that I think it SUX that I have to go through all this to see recordings in my PC.

I know it's possible, because we can do it through the various mobile apps. Would the "Solution" be to come up with an "App" for the PC? (This can also be built into a browser app, but that's a whole 'nother discussion)

dcfox1
Master
Master

You could post the feature request to view local storage recordings from the web page on a browser in the Idea exchange. I imagine it has been requested and  I would like to see it also. 

WatchingItAll
Guide
Guide

I could... From my own experience (unsupportive "support"calls) and what I read from others, Arlo doesn't seem very attentive anymore, so I wonder if it would do any good.

As you say, this basic features has surely been suggested by others. Why is not available in the first place is a mystery to me!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation