Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

End of life policy

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JLJ5
Initiate
Initiate

Hello,

I was wondering if the Arlo Pro 3 will end up not being supported just like the earlier camera models updates and so forth? Basically, if so I was thinking of going ahead and selling these and going with another company that doesn't do this especially with the amount of money we pay for these. 

Thanks,

Jerry

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JLJ5,

Arlo Pro 3 is not part of the current end of life policy. For more information on the end of life policy, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

JamesC

JLJ5
Initiate
Initiate

Hello James,

I understand that my model is not falling under the current end of life policy. My question is this how it works with Arlo cameras is just discontinuing as they age and not being able to update? Cause I have a doorbell camera through another company and have for many years and they've never just said, hey we're not going to be supporting this model anymore have to buy another one from us. So, do I need to start looking at selling my model now where they've still got value and go with this other company that doesn't do this?

Thanks

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think you raised a very good question, especially given how much the whole system costs.

I don't think they'll be able to tell you. Although it's not uncommon for other companies to stop supporting products, this usually relates to stopping firmware upgrades, so unlike what Arlo had wanted to do. Even then, some respectable companies will continue patching up their products if there is a security risk. Unfortunately, I don't know if Arlo said they would. 

The problem with Arlo is that they hadn't thought through the effects of their End of Life policy, which not only did it probably cost them financially but also in terms of their reputation.  In terms of the former, many took their products back to Costco, or started to get rid of their systems (on eBay, me considering that option, too). With regards to the issue of reputation, many Arlo users have had some experience of Arlo products before (like me, where I have four different systems, some older in terms of End of Life, some newer, at different locations), but that End of Life stunt has been mishandled and as a result, left a very bad taste in my mouth, and judging by the comments on here and the net, many many others felt the same.

So, I don't think the issue is when such a policy will be implemented - because you should, sadly, expect your product to be unsupported at some point in its life (adding to more e-waste) - but the question is how, and now that Arlo has had an experience of doing this the wrong way, let's hope they've learnt their lesson. But one only hopes.  And certainly, if I'm to buy a new system, I'll think twice before I commit to Arlo again. Sadly. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JLJ5 wrote:

Cause I have a doorbell camera through another company and have for many years and they've never just said, hey we're not going to be supporting this model anymore have to buy another one from us.

I have had to replace phones because they were no longer compatible with the provider network. 

And at some point, phones and tablets no longer get iOS or Android updates, even though they still work.  And older PCs also stop getting Windows Updates. This is basically where Arlo ended up with the EOL policy.  The cameras still work, but won't get any more firmware updates. 

That said, it would have been better if Arlo provided a looking-forward guarantee.  Saying for example, that the newly released Pro 5s camera would get firmware updates until at least 2028.  Talking about the end of manufacturing is meaningless, since customers have no idea when that will happen (or if it has already happened) for the kit they are wanting to buy.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation